AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of upgrading my current surround system. I would like to know which components to upgrade first since I plan to do the upgrade in stages. I have set aside $6000.00 for the first stage of my upgrade. I plan to do the upgrade in two stages. The second stage coming when I have more money set aside. My question is ...which is the most important and should be the first to upgrade? Speakers or surround sound processor? My current system includes the following:

Sunfire Theather I processor

Sunfire Theather Grand Amplifier

Velodyne 1200 subwoofer

B&W DM-640 main speakers

B&W DM center speaker

BP-2 Defin. Tech- surround speakers

While this systems sounds okay, I have heard better. In replacing this system, which would be your first choice. I would consider used speakers and/or processor if I can get more "bang" for the buck. I do not plan to replace my amplifier nor my subwoofer. Any suggestions out there?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Well, you have a pretty good setup already, so I think you would get the most returns from a speaker upgrade. Actually, no matter WHAT a person's setup (unless they had like B&W Nautilus speakers driven from a cheapo Sony receiver) I would recommend speaker upgrades first over any other component.

Between speaks and the processor that's a tough call, but you already have a dedicated pre-pro already so I still think new speaks will do you more good in the long run.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I entirely agree with Evan; I would go for the speakers first. While you are shopping, for the sake of having fun, I would try some radically different designs as well -- for example, the Maggie comes to mind.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Count me in on the speaker upgrade first as well. It looks like you have some pretty good hardware (components), and you might be able to get more out of them with a speaker upgrade. If you're looking to stay with the B&W brand, I would suggest checking out the CDM 7 or 9 NT, or possibly higher if you got that kind of jack to throw at speakers. I came pretty close to picking up some 7NT's, but liked something else just a little bit better. Godspeed.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Listen to the 9 nt if you want to stay with B&W you can go to the Nautilus series but If going to 804 n give the 9 nts a listen.

·
Registered
859 Posts
i'd spend the money on better amps... squeeze the most out of your speakers first.

that way when you do upgrade to a speaker that's very power hungry.. you'd be able to easily power them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.