AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of upgrading my current surround system. I would like to know which components to upgrade first since I plan to do the upgrade in two stages. I have set aside $6000.00 for the first stage of my upgrade. I plan to do the upgrade in two stages. The second stage coming when I have more money set aside. My question is ...which is the most important and should be the first to upgrade? Speakers or surround sound processor? My current system includes the following:

Sunfire Theather I processor

Sunfire Theather Grand Amplifier

Velodyne 1200 subwoofer

B&W DM-640 main speakers

B&W DM center speaker

BP-2 Defin. Tech- surround speakers

While this systems sounds okay, I have heard better. In replacing this system, which would be your first choice. I would consider used speakers and/or processor if I can get more "bang" for the buck. I do not plan to replace my amplifier nor my subwoofer. Any suggestions out there?

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Speakers. Your speakers are old enough that they sound dated. The electronics wouldn't change that. You can always upgrade the processor later. Newer B&Ws sound notably better and more detailed, but also different. I also wouldn't overlook any number of other brands as the speaker landscape is entirely different than it was 10 years ago. You'll find more opportunity to get identical speakers all the way around or even high-end monitors that work with your sub (50-75% of the cost of a tower speaker is its bass). Just be cautious about the porting if you are using the subwoofer also for music.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
i'd go speakers as well. your B&Ws while they are decent speakers, they are entry level models. amp technology hasn't changed significantly. a preamp w/ good sonics yesterday is still capable of delivering good sonics today (assuming nothing has been fried on the board ;)) albeit w/o all the newest bells and whistles in processing modes.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by John Ashman
Your speakers are old enough that they sound dated. The electronics wouldn't change that. .... . Newer B&Ws sound notably better and more detailed, but also different. I also wouldn't overlook any number of other brands as the speaker landscape is entirely different than it was 10 years ago. You'll find more opportunity to get identical speakers all the way around or even high-end monitors that work with your sub (50-75% of the cost of a tower speaker is its bass). Just be cautious about the porting if you are using the subwoofer also for music.
I agree. My speakers are good but they are entry level and not as good as my processor/amplifier system. I've listened to better B&W speakers recently and like them. However, I also like the Martin Logan line of speakers. They give good detail although they don't seem to be as "full" sounding as the better B&W speakers. In regards to my subwoofer, I do not use it when I listen to music.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.