AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am excited to use my projector for football games etc in hd. I am new to this hdtv stuff and am very confused. I have been reading the messages for a while and still don't exactly know what I should get. It sounds like the only reason to get the dish upgrade is for one channel and that I would have to pay more in monthlys and have to buy a new receiver. if I get the hipix it looks like there are lots of channels in draper utah 84020 for locals and dtv channels. in this case it seems the the hipix is the way to go, is this correct?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Uh- I think you mean the Dish 500 receiver. If you have the Dish 5000 receiver, you can get all of the HDTV channels Dish offers, although you will also have to have the 8VSB modulator and another STB to decode the signal.

Currently, Dish 5000 boxes are very valuable (check E-bay). If you do indeed have one, you can sell it and buy three Dish 6000 receivers for the price!

------------------
ABC = Another Boring Channel. Watch CBS on Monday Nights!

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
The DISH 5000 receivers are selling for relatively modest amounts--typically between $160 and $200. It's the modulators that are expensive.

So, it is my take that the Dish 6000 is useful for HBO and Showtime HD, the Dish HD demo channel and Dish HD pay per view movies. If you also purchase the 6000 OTA module, you can, in the proper geographic area and with the proper antenna, get OTA HD.

The HiPix or the Access DTV or the Hauppage HD card allow OTA HD reception, (and NTSC OTA reception) and allow you to record the HD OTA signals.

The DISH 5000 with modulator allows you to receive everything the 6000 allows (except for OTA HD) but must be used in conjunction with an HD OTA receiver. If that OTA receiver is one of the HD computer cards like the HiPix or the Panasonic DTS-50/51 combo with their HD1000 recorder, you can not only receive the satellite movies in HD, you can record them.

Jeff Hipps

[This message has been edited by Stereojeff (edited 07-20-2001).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.