AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if I should upgrade one of my Dish 6000's to an 811.

I guess I get a better guide and equivalent a/v performance along with DVI, but lose VGA output. Not sure about the fan noise between the two.

I guess the 6000 can't be downrezzed and this may be a risk going forward with the 811. If that happens I still have the other 6000 as long as it doesn't go kaput.

Has anyone else swapped their 6000 for an 811 and can recommend it?

--hardwired

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Not gonna do it here. No way. Just read the complaints about bugs and hardware failures. If your 6000 gives you no troubles, stick with it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
If they ever give us the software downloads neccessary to fix the problems, the 811 will be a good receiver. I haven't had a lot of the reported problems; but I really want the promised two day OSG. I also want to get back my Dolby Digital. Some people report no problem. I sus pect there is a compatibility problem, with just some A/V receivers. Right now, other than no fan noise, it is not any better than the 6000. But is should be better in the future. And I couldn't resist the $149 price.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Right now, other than no fan noise, it is not any better than the 6000. But is should be better in the future. And I couldn't resist the $149 price.
Red,

Is the $149 price a current promotion and is their a commitment required?

No DD really s*cks though!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am planning to keep my 6000 for a while longer. The DD output works fine with my Onkyo TX-DS696. A longer program guide would be nice, but this is not worth an upgrade right now.

I am thinking of a 921 in the future, maybe 6-9 months or so, after it gets a little track record.

Howard

·
Registered
393 Posts
>> Is the $149 price a current promotion and is their a commitment required?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just got my free 811. Got most of the initial bugs worked out. I have the same complaints as most ... OSG is short, takes to long to aquire sat signal, etc. But the picture is fantastic when given a good source. HDnet and Discovery HD rock!!!

My biggest complaint right now is the audio. If I set the 811 to 5.1, my stereo detects it and I see it switch into digital 5.1 mode but I get no audio. I have to set it to the other mode, I can't remember now PCM or somthing and that works but it is not 5.1. Was this something that worked before some of the software upgrades but not anymore or what.

I guess the other thing is the local channel onscreen guide. A friend of mine has D* and the samsung ts160 and I think he gets a guide for the ota stuff. My 811 just shows Local Programming or Local Digital. Where should the guide come from? Ota or the sat?

I love this place!

Rick C.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This thread has got me a little confused. Am I missing something? I too just got my 811 and with a simple hookup everything seem fine.

I have a 30" Philips Direct View CRT HDTV and a JVC RX-7020 receiver and using the provided component cable I hooked up the 811 to my JVC and from the JVC to the TV via component and for the audio I used an optical cable. My HD experience id fantastic and the audio is fine. I have it set to DD and PCM. My programing is fine. the only change that I have made is that my neighbor's dish is close to mine and she already had the 61.5 dish installed. My setup was just an 811 and a 311 with one DishPro Quad LNB. Via an agreement with her and the use of a SW21 switch I made changes so that I could watch the super bowl in HD. Now I am going to buy a single DP LNB to use with her 61.5 dish since she is hooked up with a legacy single LNB on the 61.5 orbit.

I did however have a problem with the guide and the OTA channel for CBSHD. My small ant. did pick up the signal very good but I could not get the programing to be integrated with my guide. Well now since I know I can receive CBSHD via 61.5 then it doesnt matter.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Some people have an 811 and are very happy with it, but as you can tell there are a number that had one and feel that it's a POS, I fell into the POS side of the fence. I had a 6000+8VSB+8PSK and I should have kept it vs. selling it and getting an 811. The 811 had just way too many problems for my taste. If you haven't done so check out the www.dbstalk.com and www.satelliteguys.us web site for some comments from others on the 811 and the state of the bugs.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hardwired

I guess the 6000 can't be downrezzed and this may be a risk going forward with the 811.

What does this mean?

·
Registered
190 Posts
This comment refers to copy protection; the 6000 will pass copy-protected HD material through its component outputs, but the 811 will lower the resolution of the info sent through the component outputs if the material is copy protected (but you can always watch the HD copy protected stuff through the DVI output if your TV has a DVI input).

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Got it , Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.