AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question. I'm kind of just seeing what options are available to me, and it occured to me that the driver in the A2-300, although not a bad driver, isnt exactly a high end driver either.

Has anyone though of or re-used the cabinet but installed a better driver in it? Is this even feasible or would it be a bad idea since the cabinet is essentially tailored to the driver installed in it?

Of course the other issue is the amp power as well.

I ask because ive noticed a pretty good portion, usually 15-25% of the cost of a DIY build ends up being the cabinet.

Anywhoo, was just curious if anyone had gone that route with one of their existing subs and how it worked out for them.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
If you can figure out the internal volume of the enclosure (I can get dimensions, really just need wall thickness), and measure the length and diameter of the port, your box tuning can be determined, and a suitable replacement driver can be recommended. If you measure the cut-out size of the amp, a beefier one can also be recommended.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 /forum/post/16905568

If you can figure out the internal volume of the enclosure (I can get dimensions, really just need wall thickness), and measure the length and diameter of the port, your box tuning can be determined, and a suitable replacement driver can be recommended. If you measure the cut-out size of the amp, a beefier one can also be recommended.

Ok, cool, i'll check that out when i get home and see if i can find some info on the thickness of the material used.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, they actually had the internal volume listed on the website, as well as the dimensions of the amp.

Internal volume is 2.45ft³, its external dimensions are H 18" x W 18" x D 21.5"

The amp is: H 8.25" x W 8.25" x D 4.5"

Can't find the port dimensions, but they say its "Room Tuned" to 20hz.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrimnir /forum/post/16905707

Ok, they actually had the internal volume listed on the website, as well as the dimensions of the amp.

Internal volume is 2.45ft³, its external dimensions are H 18" x W 18" x D 21.5"

The amp is: H 8.25" x W 8.25" x D 4.5"

Can't find the port dimensions, but they say its "Room Tuned" to 20hz.

Stick a tape measure down the port tube and hook it on the end of the port. That will give you the length. Then measure the diameter of the port. Room tune means that the sub was actually tuned higher and ED has added in a room gain estimate. It is the amp opening and the driver opening that is needed, so that new drivers and amps can be picked that match the opening size.

Added:

I would also pull the driver to confirm the box volume. You can measure the front baffle directly with the driver pulled. For the sides measure the internal width and subtract from the external width, then divide by two. Do the same for the back, except rather than divide by two, subtract the front baffle thickness.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts