AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out the drives being offered on uBid. What a ripoff! I thought the prices on eBay were finally getting reasonable. Anyone buy an upgrade from uBid?

·
Registered
582 Posts
If you want the best price on any computer component go to PriceWatch I got 140Gb of Maxtor drives (2 drives 80/60) for $276 including shipping.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not talking about bare drives. I'm talking about patched drives. $300 for a 100 hour replay drive that you can buy for $250 or less then do it yourself.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I preface this by stating that this is NOT a FLAME but just another poit of view.

Yes, the best retail price you can get on a Maxtor 100G drive is $210.

I assume you and most certainly I would spend the 6-7 hours of CPU time to do the diagnostic check and patch the drive, however, there are folks that want the extra record time but not the hassle of doing the prep work. Sooo, some enterprising individual has done the prep work for the lazy/technophobic folks and the market will decide if he will be rewarded.

There are a lot of folks out there who either just don't have the personal confidence to do the work or value their time more than the $$ they pay someone else to do it ... that's how we all get our jobs ... somebody else couldn't or wouldn't do them.

Some folks buy Compaq/Dell/IBM/NoName computers and some folks build them from the ground up .... I personally think Compaq overprices their computers, so I build my own, but there are literally millions who don't. And therein lies the point ... we have free choice to buy a turnkey drive or do it ourselves and that's the difference between the hobbyist and the consumer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.