Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all audiophile buddies,

I've been using Denon AVR3300 (DD,DTS with 105 W/ch), and now trying to go separates. For my budget, I have about 700-800. My question is:

1. If I can get a JBL Synthesis SPD2, which is equivalent to lexicon DC1, for $650, is it worth?

2. For my upgrade path, which one is better: buy an amp (Rotel, Parasound, Sunfire, ...) and use my Denon as a pre, or buy a pre and use Denon as an amp?

3. Should I buy an old-but-good pre/pro like the above Lexicon, or buy a used receiver with all new features like HK325 and use it as a pre/pro?

Thanks,

Phong

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Unless your denon has main ins, it won't function properly as an amp (though if it has multichannel ins, you could run the volume to max and use the other pre to control the volume; but that is a big hassle. It should work fine as a preamp though. I've got my Elite 45TX running as a pre-pro for my ebay special Sunfire Cinema Grand amp.

Sorny

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by new2all2003
To all audiophile buddies,

I've been using Denon AVR3300 (DD,DTS with 105 W/ch), and now trying to go separates. For my budget, I have about 700-800. My question is:

1. If I can get a JBL Synthesis SPD2, which is equivalent to lexicon DC1, for $650, is it worth?

2. For my upgrade path, which one is better: buy an amp (Rotel, Parasound, Sunfire, ...) and use my Denon as a pre, or buy a pre and use Denon as an amp?

3. Should I buy an old-but-good pre/pro like the above Lexicon, or buy a used receiver with all new features like HK325 and use it as a pre/pro?

Thanks,

Phong

The first question is, why do you want to go separates?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just made this comment on another thread but thought you would find it interesting.

On another interesting note, just to satisfy my curiosity, I initially hooked up the MC-8 using my Yamaha-2095 as an amplifier and I was impressed with how the Yamaha seemed to perform as a pure dedicated 5.1 channel amp. I was initially confused and still am about it, but it ultimately performed perfectly. The Yamaha’s 5.1 channel discreet inputs are labeled Fronts L&R, Rears L&R, Center, and Sub (which I bypassed). I first plugged the MC-8 main outs into the front discreet inputs of the Yamaha. This resulted in the main speakers being used basically as sub-woofers. All I heard was LFE from them. I then took out the coupling connectors on the Yamahas’ pre-out/main-in connectors and plugged in the main outs from the MC-8 directly into the main-ins on the Yamaha inputs. The Yamaha then performed perfectly as a dedicated 5 channel amp. Even the volume control on the Yamaha didn’t work any more when it was in discreet input mode, just like a pure amp. Being inspired by that, I then attempted to use the Yamaha as a 7 channel amp by hooking up the side speakers to the front discreet inputs on the Yamaha and that didn’t work (no sound at all). Maybe I forgot to configure the Yamaha for seven speakers or maybe the fronts inputs and speaker outs are strictly for Yamahas’ front special effects channel and cannot be used as discreet 6 and 7th channels? I also noticed while using the Yamaha as an amp, there was occasional static in the cable signal, even on the tv’s input directly from the wall, bypassing all the ht stuff. This effect did not occur for dvd sources. The static went away after replacing the Yamaha with the LX7. The improvement in sound was subtle but noticeable and increasingly so with higher volumes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Auditor55,

I've heard so many opnions that separates would sound better that receivers. If it's true my Denon would go to the bed room.

Basically, I still do not have the answer for which path is better.

Phong

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hello

Separates are better than receivers in-terms of upgrade ability. And sound quality.With separates you can trade in your preamp down the road and hold on the the amp. While with receivers you have to bring the amp since it is built in. For sound separates will sound cleaner because there is no amp to inter fear with the processing. Mind you brands such as Denon, Yamaha, and many others have sheiled their processors from the amp. But I want you to know that receivers have come along way. There are some high end receivers which can compete with separates. Such receivers as Denon AVR-5803. If you have the money I would go with separates. But if your budget is tight than you can do what most of us do, which is by a receiver such as a Denon 3803, Pioneer VSX-45TX, Yamaha RX-V2300 and later on buy a separate amp and work from there.

Good-luck

GOLDEN-EAGLE!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
In my personal experience using a Denon 3802 w/Rotel amp, and now a Rotel preamp w/Rotel amp, the biggest gain in sound quality came with the new preamp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.