AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We currently have a 2.0 system which is mostly used for movies (Sony DG-700 and 2x Elac BS 63). I prefer action/scifi while my wife also likes movies "with less action".

In your opinion, is a center speaker and/or a subwoofer recommended upgrades? Rear speakers are not an option currently. Which speaker/sub would you recommend for our setup?

·
Registered
18,980 Posts
The usual advice would be to go with the "matching" center which in the case of the B6 would be the C5. You can do that, and if it doesn't produce adequate voice clarity, return it and buy a (gasp!) NON-"matching" center which does.

But yes, the center and sub would be the most essential upgrades.

What's your room dimensions and maximum budget?

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
A subwoofer will definately be an upgrade especially for sci-fi and action movies. A center speaker will provide clear dialog for movies with "less action". Both will provide a significant improvement regardless of content. As zorba mentioned, It would be helpful to know your room dimensions as well as what your bugdet is before we make recommendations.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't even know how close the BS 63 is to the B6. The C5 does still look like a good option.

The budget isn't that strict, but around 300€ sounds good for the center speaker and about the same for the sub.

The room will be about 4.3 m x 2.5m (i.e. about 4m from the couch to the TV). The right side of the room is open to the kitchen and the dining area. The left side will be mostly windows with the possibility of closing the curtains.

Thanks for the answers already!

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
With that size open floor plan, best to be looking for a 12" ported sub. Subs see the entire room space, so you need a good bit of sub. Not sure what's a best value on subs in the EU in your budget range. People at AVForums might be able to help since they are a UK based audio/video community: https://www.avforums.com/.

·
Registered
18,980 Posts
I don't even know how close the BS 63 is to the B6. The C5 does still look like a good option.

The budget isn't that strict, but around 300€ sounds good for the center speaker and about the same for the sub.

The room will be about 4.3 m x 2.5m (i.e. about 4m from the couch to the TV). The right side of the room is open to the kitchen and the dining area. The left side will be mostly windows with the possibility of closing the curtains.

Thanks for the answers already!
Where in the EU are you, exactly? For your subwoofer, see if you can find an SVS dealer not too far from you and get your hands on a PB1000 if it falls into your budget:
http://www.svsound.com/pages/international-dealers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No SVS resellers here in Finland but L-Sound do ship from Norway without shipping costs. And based on another quick googling it seems that I need to stretch my sub budget to that 500+€ as anything cheaper really start to lack in sound.

Elac's 2030 is priced similarly and available here, but it's a sealed one. The frequency response of the 2030 is 20-180 Hz and PB-1000 is 19-270 Hz. What other specs to compare? Or is it more important to read the reviews about how they really behave?

Thanks.

·
Registered
18,980 Posts
No SVS resellers here in Finland but L-Sound do ship from Norway without shipping costs. And based on another quick googling it seems that I need to stretch my sub budget to that 500+€ as anything cheaper really start to lack in sound.

Elac's 2030 is priced similarly and available here, but it's a sealed one. The frequency response of the 2030 is 20-180 Hz and PB-1000 is 19-270 Hz. What other specs to compare? Or is it more important to read the reviews about how they really behave?.
The PB1000 is a ported subwoofer, so it will produce much more output than a sealed sub. I'd only get a sealed sub if I was in a really small room and needed a much smaller box. For HT usage you want to have as much output as possible.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Elac's 2030 is priced similarly and available here, but it's a sealed one. The frequency response of the 2030 is 20-180 Hz and PB-1000 is 19-270 Hz. What other specs to compare? Or is it more important to read the reviews about how they really behave?

Thanks.
SVS is really good for the money and many AVS members own their subs. ELAC's subs may be. It's hard to know. They have not be been around that long. While ELAC lists 20-180hz, they are not listing it as a +/- 3db rating like SVS does, which means the sub will likely roll off a lot in output by 20hz. Otherwise, they probably would use a +/- 3db rating.

But as Zorba pointed out, go with ported design. As a sealed 10" sub, the 2030 will not have a lot of output. Quite possibly less output than the SVS SB-1000.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,790 Posts
The 2030 uses a single 10" driver in a sealed enclosure, so you can safely say it won't be able to achieve 20Hz with any usable output. 25Hz is perhaps all you can reasonably hope for.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts