AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would there be a notable difference from a pb-10 to 16-46PCi or am I just looking at playing it a bit louder? I want to get a cylinder sub as they look much easier for placement, rather than having a big rectangular sub, and I want one that would be an upgrade from the pb-10 as it left me wanting more bass. It would be nice if I could keep the budget within the price of of a 16-46PCi, but if worth the extra cash I could go a bit higher. My room is about 16x14x8. Oh and I am aware of the cylinder size height. Thanks

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckademic
Would there be a notable difference from a pb-10 to 16-46PCi or am I just looking at playing it a bit louder? I want to get a cylinder sub as they look much easier for placement, rather than having a big rectangular sub, and I want one that would be an upgrade from the pb-10 as it left me wanting more bass. It would be nice if I could keep the budget within the price of of a 16-46PCi, but if worth the extra cash I could go a bit higher. My room is about 16x14x8. Oh and I am aware of the cylinder size height. Thanks
Ask the SVS folks. But I would say "yes". Especially if you are interested in sub-sonic effects.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
The 16-46 will go much deeper, but above ~25hz it probably won't be louder at all than the pb-10.

If you want more SPL, then you should consider

1) a 2nd pb-10

2) 20-39PC+ or 25-31PC+ (stock or 22hz tune)

3) pb12-isd/2

·
Banned
2,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse S
The 16-46 will go much deeper, but above ~25hz it probably won't be louder at all than the pb-10.
Actually PB-10 is tuned around to 17 Hz, so it will not go _much_ deeper. :)

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking of a second sub, but heard that it is hard to calibrate two subs properly. Plus a second pb-10, geez, I find it hard moving around the one I have now as it is because its length. I'll think about it... anyone else?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Dual PB10s would stomp on one 16-46PCi but if you only want one sub, I say get a 25-31PCi with the 22hz tune port or a 20-39PCi.

Setting up dual subs is easy. Just do one step at a time.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Quote:
I want to get a cylinder sub as they look much easier for placement, rather than having a big rectangular sub, and I want one that would be an upgrade from the pb-10 as it left me wanting more bass. It would be nice if I could keep the budget within the price of of a 16-46PCi, but if worth the extra cash I could go a bit higher. My room is about 16x14x8.
If it were my decision, (like mentioned by Jesse and Unicron) I would go with the 20-39PCi or the 22 Hz custom tuned 25-31PCi. Both would be a considerable upgrade over the PB10-ISD. The 22 Hz tuned 25-31PCi can really belt it out and does very well as a all round sub. It plays the higher Hz material with plenty of slam and still has the capability of doing well for the $$ in the lower regions. You can be sure it will move much more air than what your used to, I assure you.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Ikka-

I thought it was tuned to 20hz. It doesn't actually seem to say anywhere on the SVS site, the manual, secret's review, etc. Even so, the enclosure is significantly smaller than a 16-46 so the efficiency in the 15-20hz range will not be nearly as good. IMO not the right choice for someone who is looking merely for higher SPL's with a given FR.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My pb-10 clearly has what I believe is called "sonic impact," but what I noticed is that my previous jbl pb12 sounded a bit louder in certain scenes, but did not have anywhere near the impact of the pb10 and I guess I am just a bit bass hungry. I am not looking for any boominess, but I guess a bigger impact. So would having dual pb10 be the same as having a 16-46PCi or would it be significantly better?

·
Banned
2,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse S
Ikka-

I thought it was tuned to 20hz. It doesn't actually seem to say anywhere on the SVS site, the manual, secret's review, etc. Even so, the enclosure is significantly smaller than a 16-46 so the efficiency in the 15-20hz range will not be nearly as good. IMO not the right choice for someone who is looking merely for higher SPL's with a given FR.
It IS tuned to ~17 Hz, but it also has a quite steep HP filter at 19 Hz (check Ed Mullen's review). :) So there is a difference after all.

Sorry for being so unclear with this matter.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckademic
I was thinking of a second sub, but heard that it is hard to calibrate two subs properly. Plus a second pb-10, geez, I find it hard moving around the one I have now as it is because its length. I'll think about it... anyone else?
Stack them!

·
Banned
2,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlarsen
What is the point in tuning the sub to 17hZ if you are going to filter at 19hZ? Thoughts?
GD remains much lower, since you filter the highest peak.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm not an expert but have been playing around with car audio subs for years. Raw SPL, the kind you can feel rather than hear, is the total driver mass being moved... total surface area and excursion. Without digging into numbers, both the PB-10 and 16-46PCi have high excursion drivers. Simple math dictates two PB-10 subwoofers with 600W (300W each) will have greater SPL than a single 16-46PCi with 325W. The two systems will sound significantly different though because of the tuning frequency. The 16-46PCi will be deeper and dip into subsonic levels better as it rolls off at 16Hz than the two PB-10s which roll off at 20Hz. Both subs get -3/+3 db (2-5Hz) in-room, so that's moot.

Keeping the same train of thought, a single 16-46PCi with a few more watts and larger driver should outperform the PB-10 simply because it's moving more mass and has a little more power to do so. If you're really a bass-head, want a cylinder sub, and don't want to worry about it, get a PC-Plus or PC-Ultra version. They have even more exertion and 525W.

As for me, I have a 20-39PCi on the way, which is an upgrade for my Klipsch KS-10.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
The P10-ISD tuning frequency is just under 18 Hz. The high pass filter kicks in right around this frequency too, maybe a touch higher. Remember, the port will start to contribute to output starting in the mid-lower 20 Hz region, but will be maximized at 17-18 Hz. With room gain you'll still see some usable extension to about 16 Hz in-room, but the HPF is very steep so things fall off pretty rapidly below that point.

I would take dual PB10-ISD over a single 16-46PCi for more output over the common bass regions, but the 16-46PCi will definitely play deeper, with usable output to 13 Hz in-room.

Dual PB10 would give a 6 dB increase. The increase in dynamic headroom will be very noticeable if you've been pushing a single PB10 pretty hard.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I will give dual subs a try. When calibrating two subs you just calibrate one at a time by turning one off from the y cable and calibrate and you then do the same for the other, right, or is there more to it?

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Quote:
or is there more to it?
No thats about it except to say you want to calibrate each sub -6 dB from your targeted calibration... so when you power both up you come in at calibration if your getting your 6 dB bump in headroom. Also remember not to mess with your receiver settings after you calibrate the first sub. Use the gain on your second sub to calibrate exclusively. You can tweak afterwards.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
What about 2-PB10's vs a 16-46PC+?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.