AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been struggling with recording satisfactory video with my ati aiw8500 128 card. my video source is generally from a c-band 4dtv receiver. the video output from my htpc is fed to a pioneer elite pro520hd via a denon avr3802 receiver. all other inputs, dvd or the satellite receiver direct, display fine on the elite. i don't use my htpc to play dvds, it's mainly used as a pvr.

the main problem with the AIW is video jerkiness when i play a recorded file (dvd quality 720x480 either interlaced or de-interlaced). this is very annoying when watching something. if i pause the video, it looks on the elite like the frame is jumping back and forth (left and right) about an inch. viewing the same file, at the same time on a vga monitor--it looks just fine. i'm feeding the Elite with svideo in this case. i can minimize the problem with the 3D NR Level control on the Elite (noise reduction in the luminance and chrominance of the svideo signal), but can't eliminate it.

On some driver sets for the AIW, i could set certain combinations to eliminate this. in pre-catalyst drivers i could futz around with changing refresh rates and the problem would go away until a reboot. on some early catalyst releases i could solve the problem by mixing drivers and control panel versions. so, i know it's not cables, or how the cables are run (though i have tried that approach too).

I'm using catalyst 3.7 now and the problem is worse than ever. ATI support has not been helpful at all, even though i've submitted problem reports.

So, unless someone here has seen this problem and can tell me how to solve it, I want to dump the ATI and move to another solution. i've never been too happy with the video quality of this card anyway.

My questions are:

1. I've read the FAQs here, and looked through the archive but I still don't have a good feel for what to get. I want to be able to output video via vga, svideo, and component. What is a good video output solution to do this that will give me good PQ on my elite?

2. For capturing video, what card is a good one to cap dvd quality with? it needs svideo input at the least. i'm not interested in an on card tuner.

3. i assume a separate video output and capture card is a better solution. is this true?

thanks for the help. i've been screwing around with this for far too long and i'd like to square this away and move on.

kenb

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.