AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a benq6100 and love the picture - this projector I found to a great investment. For xmas I purchased the toshiba a2 hd dvd player and now have the upgrade bug. Will the jump to the HD70 be huge for pq? One thing I don't get is the benq specs state it can do 1080 i and the optima also lists 1080p will the optima do 1080p?

· Registered
222 Posts
I went from a PB6100 to a HD1000U ($850 shipped), and have been quite happy so far

· Registered
193 Posts
just wondering why everyone is recommending the mitsu1000 over the optoma hd70? I know the optoma is a tweaker's projectors and needs calibration to get the best pq but isnt it equivalent to the mitsu? does the mitsu give a better pq right out of the box? I currently have a benq 6100 and love it but i too have the upgrade bug and was seriously thinking about getting the hd70. I havent seen the mitsu in canada but i have seen the hd70 go for open box prices of about $950cdn from online cad retailers.

How does the jump from an svga to hd proj effect dvd resolution? is there a big difference in the pq of dvd movies on the mitsu or optoma models? i know to fully see the benefit of the new projectors you would need an HD source. Right now i dont have a lot of that and 95% of my viewing is done with dvds via a htpc and i'm pretty happy with that but was wondering how much more i could have by upgrading to one of the two machines listed?

· Registered
1,410 Posts
Hi Aravs. I was a big HD70 proponent (it was the first sub-$1k 720p dlp) but the mits is brighter, way better out of the box (I normally calibrate for an hour first thing, a week in I've hardly touched my Mits settings, I love the image so much ootb). It's also $100 cheaper in the US. I know it's hard to find in Canada, that might be a factor for you. Also the mits has a big glass lens vs the plastic of the Optoma (between my 6100 and HD1000u I had an Optoma and liked it - the mits feels a lot more professional in the build quality and ease of adjusting the lens zoom/focus). Optoma has the better warranty.

As for the jump in resolution, for non-HD sources that'll basically enable you to sit closer without seeing Screendoor. This is 2.5 or something the number of pixels so it'll look a lot smoother that way, and of course should you go to HD you'll be thrilled! I've found hd-dvd and the mits to be bar none the best video experience I've ever had. The other thing is, the 6100 is a business projector. The mits will not only be brighter. Don't listen to the same brightness spec, once you set brightness/contrast for video the mits will be WAY WAY brighter and enigmatically also have FAR FAR superior contrast. The Benq just happened to be decent for video 3 years ago, the Mits is MADE for theater (as opposed to presentation) and just destroys it in all fathomable picture quality measurements. I'm not subject to the issues of the slow color wheel of the Benq but that's another big advantage of the Mits - faster color wheel, fewer to no rainbows, and the colorwheel is likely a lot smaller and the colors just POP. You won't believe how far the technology has come in a couple years, for the same money you get SO MUCH MORE with the Mits.

· Registered
650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravs /forum/post/0

just wondering why everyone is recommending the mitsu1000 over the optoma hd70?

I chose the 70 over the 1000 when prices were $999 for the 70 and $1500 for the Mits. I later had the chance to trade the 70 for the 1000 for a modest restocking fee. I reviewed both simultaneously and I found things I liked and disliked with both units, but the differences were not large and I didn't see the point of changing. There are a lot of things to like about the Mits, but beware of one of the claims being made the the Mits is "a $1500 pj for $899." The fact is, Mits probably cut the price b/c they felt it competed better in the sub-$1000 class established by Optoma. And no-one sells a long life product like a pj at a sustained loss. It's entirely possible that the profit margin on both units is about the same at their current price points.

I've written this before, but here goes again: To my eyes, the Mits is brighter, but the 70 has better shadow detail. In bright mode, they are almost indistinguishable in terms of shadow performance. The Mits is more LCD-like in its presentation, the 70 more plasma like. If you can get the Mits for $100 less than the 70, I'd go for it. You can read reviews of both units here:

http://www.projectorreviews.com/

I honestly don't think you'll go wrong with either unit.

Brian

· Registered
39 Posts
I'm not positive re: the specs on your current projector. The BenQ PB6100 is 4x3 native, correct? XGA resolution, correct?

Do you use the projector to watch SD DVD's only? What about HDTV?

If your current projector is 4:3 native, then any of the leading 16:9 (or 15:9) 720p projectors will be a significant improvement when watching DVD's. If you watch at least some HDTV on the same projector, the decision to upgrade is much easier.

· Registered
1,943 Posts

Quote:

just wondering why everyone is recommending the mitsu1000 over the optoma hd70? I know the optoma is a tweaker's projectors and needs calibration to get the best pq but isnt it equivalent to the mitsu? does the mitsu give a better pq right out of the box? I currently have a benq 6100 and love it but i too have the upgrade bug and was seriously thinking about getting the hd70. I havent seen the mitsu in canada but i have seen the hd70 go for open box prices of about $950cdn from online cad retailers.

How does the jump from an svga to hd proj effect dvd resolution? is there a big difference in the pq of dvd movies on the mitsu or optoma models? i know to fully see the benefit of the new projectors you would need an HD source. Right now i dont have a lot of that and 95% of my viewing is done with dvds via a htpc and i'm pretty happy with that but was wondering how much more i could have by upgrading to one of the two machines listed?

Yeah it gives you a better quality out of the box. I already racked up 20 hrs already I have not change anything yet still in factory setting. Atleast that was my experience in my mits. I saw the hd70 in action and it was'nt that bad at all.

· Registered
56 Posts

Quote:

Hey aravs...just do what I might do...I live in Canada and the Mitsubishi is hard to find at a good price. I looked at some U.S. websites that ship to Canada and projectorpros(dot)com has the Mits for 894!! However with shipping, custom fees it will be about 1200-1300 althought that is cheaper than in Canada...just might be a pain to ship back for problems, but does that really matter...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.