AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an amateur videographer and the first camera I have ever had was a Canon XL2. I know the camera is a little outdated being released in 2004 but for all the accessories and price I paid for it, I could not pass it up. Now that I have done some work and am starting to refine my skills it is time for an upgrade.

I was wondering what some of the best cameras are on the market like the Canon XL2. I would prefer something with the slick professional look it has plus the versatility the camera has with balance in my hand for different shots.

So what is the best camera to upgrade to from the Canon XL2?

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuBoi0924  /t/1418836/upgrade-from-canon-xl2#post_22192553

I am an amateur videographer and the first camera I have ever had was a Canon XL2. I know the camera is a little outdated being released in 2004 but for all the accessories and price I paid for it, I could not pass it up. Now that I have done some work and am starting to refine my skills it is time for an upgrade.

I was wondering what some of the best cameras are on the market like the Canon XL2. I would prefer something with the slick professional look it has plus the versatility the camera has with balance in my hand for different shots.

So what is the best camera to upgrade to from the Canon XL2?

Thanks

Mike

Mike - at about the same price point as the XL2 when it was new, the natural upgrade path would be to the XF300 . 1080p, 50mbps and broadcast-ready - and it uses the same batteries as your XL2. Sadly, Canon has gone from the XL2's interchangeable lenses to a fixed lens, but it's still a versatile 18x zoom. And you'll have to buy a shoulder mount, because the XL2's shoulder pad is gone :-(

If your budget is closer to $3K - you may want to take a look at the Canon XF100 , which
Bloom thinks highly of[/URL] .

Great videos from the Canon XF series here: http://vimeo.com/groups/canonxf

Or, if the world of large sensor, shallow depth of field, interchangeable lens camcorders appeals to you, you might want to look at the Panasonic AF100 .

Great videos from the AF100 here: http://vimeo.com/groups/agaf100

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

·
Registered
176 Posts
Really liked this one from the AF100 :

I read where he shot 5 days and took different scenes to make the video . My question is how did he sync the music so well ??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts