AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am power my Lsi 15's w/ the crown right now. The other 5 speakers are being powered by the onkyo 805. I just bought a pair of LSI/fx that will get here on monday. I'm thinking of getting the emotiva xpa-5 to power the 5 LSI speakers.

Do I need an external amp on the LSI/FX speakers, and is ith worth it to upgrade to the Emotiva although it has less watts/ch?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Much as I like Emotiva, I kind of doubt it, I suppose it depends on a couple of things. Do you like to listen to music on all channel stereo? Also, it will be pretty nice to have your centre on an amp. Why not get one and try it out, if you don't like it, send it back.

the only thing you have to lose is return postage.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hmm. Had a better look at your speakers, and I see that they are 4ohm rated. Based on that, I have to say that I doubt your 805 are doing them full justice.

On the the other hand, if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I went from the crown 402d to the emotiva xpa-5. I was powering just the mains with the crown and the rest with my receiver. The sound on the mains was pretty much the same after switching to the xpa-5. But the center channel going from the receiver to the xpa-5, I did notice a little more clarity in dialog for ht purposes.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have a question for you guys using the crown amps. I have a 402 and a 202 as well. they are currently not being used but I'm planning to hook them up tonight. my question is, how are you guys powering this amps on? do you go up to the amps and turn them on manually? do you just leave them on all the time and if so, do they consume a lot of energy being on all the time?

thanks

·
Registered
10,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockokma /forum/post/15435723

I am power my Lsi 15's w/ the crown right now. The other 5 speakers are being powered by the onkyo 805. I just bought a pair of LSI/fx that will get here on monday. I'm thinking of getting the emotiva xpa-5 to power the 5 LSI speakers.

Do I need an external amp on the LSI/FX speakers, and is ith worth it to upgrade to the Emotiva although it has less watts/ch?

I also have Polk LSIs [4 LSI9s and a LSI-C] I would liberate them from your Onkyo, and get a XPA-3. For $599 that's a steal IMO. I would leave the crown in place unless you're not happy with it.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual /forum/post/17915373

I have a question for you guys using the crown amps. I have a 402 and a 202 as well. they are currently not being used but I'm planning to hook them up tonight. my question is, how are you guys powering this amps on? do you go up to the amps and turn them on manually? do you just leave them on all the time and if so, do they consume a lot of energy being on all the time?

thanks

They are not "energy star" rated that's for sure. I hook all my amps to power strips, and use it's rocker switch to turn them on/off, so I won't wear out the power switch on the amps. If your amp has a remote trigger input try to use that.

·
Registered
143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual /forum/post/17915373

thanks

I used this:

http://bitsltd.net/SmartShop/product...l?product=LCG3

I hooked the trigger up to my reciever/pre-pro and the amp went on and off with the reciever.

·
Registered
750 Posts
thanks man.

do your speakers make a popping sound when the amp turns on?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.