AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of you asked for an upgrade to our new CS-2 when it became available. Focus has decided to offer an upgrade "trade Up" program to existing CS-1 owners.

Anyone wishing to upgrade to a CS-2 to get the TimeBase correction, HDCP, Hardware upgrade slot and BNC input connections can trade in their CS-1 to the new CS-2 can do so for $695. This offer is open to all under warranty CS-1 customers with a valid invoice from an Authorized Focus Enhancements Reseller. You can place your order by calling our customer service number at 800 338-3348, they should also be able to give you additional details if you have questions.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks, Shaun! What kinds of options are we likely to see for the upgrade slot? I see a sdio available now (how much?) - anything else?

Dan

·
Registered
506 Posts
Shaun,

I posted some disadvantages to the "CS-1 to CS-2 Exchange Offer" vs. a modular HDCP option on the "CS-1 not upgradeable (manual incorrect)" thread:

1) CS-1 owner will be without a processor during both in-transit times unless Focus is offering advance replacement

2) CS-1 owner must buy new cables due to CS-2's BNC jacks ($100+ for most); modular option maintains RCA connectors and thus no expense.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
jeffmcclan:

You won't necessarily have to buy new cables. Speaking from personal experience with an NRS and a Pioneer plasma, RCA/BNC adapters work quite well and are cheap. I have very good quality cables and didn’t want to replace them just because of BNC connectors.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Monster makes a good RCA/BNC adapter. I got a 4 or 5 pack for $25 at Tweeter. I use one on my Holo3Dgraph card.

I think it would be nice though, to have an RCA option on the CS-2.

I'd like to know if going with BNC connectors would result in a visibly superior image? Anyone here have experience with this?

Thanks,

Ken

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We can't do a modular upgrade to HDCP like we originally planned, so this is the next best thing plus you get more features, not just HDCP. We will include RCA/BNC adapters just ask for them and we can include them, they are very inexpensive, we may already include them with the CS-2. As far as an advance replacement, this can be done however if we receive back the CS-1 in not so good condition this will cause some problems with the trade up. In any case if you have a credit card we can do an advance exchange we call it BRR (before return replacement). Customer service can help with the details.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by KenLand
Monster makes a good RCA/BNC adapter. I got a 4 or 5 pack for $25 at Tweeter. I use one on my Holo3Dgraph card.

I think it would be nice though, to have an RCA option on the CS-2.

I'd like to know if going with BNC connectors would result in a visibly superior image? Anyone here have experience with this?

Thanks,

Ken
The main advantage to having BNC type connectors is that they are locking connectors. RCA's sometimes become loose and cause problems such as loss of color or picture quality if the connection becomes loose. BNC connectors eliminate this possibility.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just to be sure I understand, what are the benefits of TimeBase correction, HDCP, and a Hardware upgrade slot in the CS-2?

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
Jim,

I have to disagree with you on that one. I was using BNC to RCA connectors for a while and they introduced analog noise (which would be gone if I even breathed around these connectors, but would return an hour later).

It drove me bonkers and I ended up replacing all my cables with custom made RCA-BNC cables. Not a hint of noise since.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Quote:
Just to be sure I understand, what are the benefits of TimeBase correction, HDCP, and a Hardware upgrade slot in the CS-2?
TimeBase correction assists with sources with unstable timing, like VCRs and laserdisc players, particularly when seeking. Whereas my projector will almost always lose synch when I fast forward my VCR, or if I have a marginal tape, the TBC will help eliminate this.

HDCP is a copy protection system that I'll let someone else explain, but it's no good to you if your display doesn't ALSO support DVI-HDCP.

The Hardware upgrade slot is just that. The only add-on I know of right now is an sdio option (for a direct digital connection from a dvd player, for instance), but there may be more.

Dan

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Oferlaor:

Yes, I've seen similar comments before, but I don't have the problem with my Pio plasma. I know that a lot of people recommend going with the proper cables, rather than adapters. If I were starting from scratch, I'd probably do the same.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Shaun,

I appreciate FE providing the option of upgrading to the CS-2. Not to sound ungreatful, but I am wondering about the price of the upgrade being $695. I understand that it costs FE to do the upgrade, but where did the $695 cost come from? The MSRPs of the two units differ by $500, and the street difference is closer to $400. Thus, if we "upgrade" to the CS-2, we end up paying over $300 more than if we bought the CS-2 to begin with. This doesn't exactly seem like a great option. Any chance of getting the upgrade price to a level where the CS-1 + the upgrade price = (or approx. =) the CS-2 cost? Thanks.

James

·
Registered
73 Posts
In fairness, there are many situations where a consumer is given a choice between two products, and the price to upgrade the lower product to the higher is more than the price difference between the two. This is the opportunity cost for the right to start lower and move up gradually. Unfortunately, that logic is a little different here, because the CS-2 wasn't available at the time that the CS-1s were being sold, so one could argue that users were induced to buy the CS-1 with the promise of an upgrade.

I could be convinced either way, but I'm not unhappy with the upgrade option as currently offered, especially since you're getting more than HDCP - you're getting the TBC et al. I'd rather have a CS-2 than an upgraded CS-1.

Dan

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jhagler
Shaun,

I appreciate FE providing the option of upgrading to the CS-2. Not to sound ungreatful, but I am wondering about the price of the upgrade being $695. I understand that it costs FE to do the upgrade, but where did the $695 cost come from? The MSRPs of the two units differ by $500, and the street difference is closer to $400. Thus, if we "upgrade" to the CS-2, we end up paying over $300 more than if we bought the CS-2 to begin with. This doesn't exactly seem like a great option. Any chance of getting the upgrade price to a level where the CS-1 + the upgrade price = (or approx. =) the CS-2 cost? Thanks.

James

Keep in mind that you have enjoyed your CS-1 for a while now, (I am sure you haven't missed not having HDCP) where others have waited a while for the CS-2. Your CS-1 is now used and can not be resold for the same price. You are looking at this from the price you paid for the CS-1 not from what it is worth. You will be getting a brand new CS-2. This is the most feasible way for us to offer this program. Not many manufacturers even offer an upgrade program such as this. Your other option could be to sell your CS-1 and try buying a CS-2 at a discount, if you figure this out I think that you will agree that a price of $695 is fair.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I am curious that how many people have an HDCP TV/projector and when do they expect to see HDCP broadcast material

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FE
Keep in mind that you have enjoyed your CS-1 for a while now, (I am sure you haven't missed not having HDCP) where others have waited a while for the CS-2. Your CS-1 is now used and can not be resold for the same price. You are looking at this from the price you paid for the CS-1 not from what it is worth. You will be getting a brand new CS-2. This is the most feasible way for us to offer this program. Not many manufacturers even offer an upgrade program such as this. Your other option could be to sell your CS-1 and try buying a CS-2 at a discount, if you figure this out I think that you will agree that a price of $695 is fair.

Of course in my particular case, this isn't that much comfort. I purchased my CS-1 only 30 days ago, so I have hardly received several hundred dollars worth of enjoyment out of it in that time period. At the moment, I do not even have a need for HDCP, but one of the reasons I purchased the CS-1 was to be future-proof for when I changed my display device, HDTV receiver, etc. The one feature I figured might be necessary was HDCP, so I figured I was covered. I see no need for any of the other features of the CS-2 (and even the BNC connectors are a drawback, as all my cables are RCA). I guess my timing is just lousy, and I should have waited another 30 days before buying the CS-1, then I would have known about the HDCP issue and could have chosen the CS-2 upfront at a substantial savings.

Shaun, how long is the upgrade option available? You stated "This offer is open to all under warranty CS-1 customers with a valid invoice from an Authorized Focus Enhancements Reseller." Does this mean I have the full two years, and can upgrade anytime during that period?" Thanks.

James

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
So, what happends with the used CS-1's? Will they be sold off as rebuilts or used as warrantee replacements? I might be interested in a trade in unit, if the price is right.

Chip S.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will have to find out and get back to you with answers to both questions. Chances are we will sell the used CS-1's as Factory refurbished through some of our resellers.

·
Registered
73 Posts
jhagler - seeing as how you are right at about 30 days, why don't you just talk to customer service and see if they can tailor a solution to your individual case? I have found Focus to be nothing but accommodating in my dealings with them, and I'm sure it's in their best interest to make you happy. At the same time, they can't really make a blanket offer in public that covers every possible contingency. If you feel slighted, talk to them privately and it seems likely they'll work with you. As for me, I've had mine for a number of months and think the offer is perfectly appropriate for my situation. My only issue is that my biggest investment is in my projector, which is of course not HDCP compliant as it's a CRT. sigh.

Dan

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.