AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am wondering if it is possible to get a decent upgrade in sound quality from my current set up of: (~$1250 budget)

2 Energy RC-30's

2 RC- mini bookshelf speakers

1 RC-mini cc

Pioneer VSX-1120k

Epik Empire w/ Anti-mode 8033

My listening habits are equally split between music, movies and games. I have a 15x22 room for my set-up.

I have found myself listening in a 2.1 set up instead of 5.1 because to my ears the RC-30 sound a lot cleaner than the 3 'mini-series' speakers. However, this has left me wanting a true 5.1 or 7.1 set-up. I have noticed that an RC-LCR is quite expensive, and that many people prefer bookshelves instead of towers when using a powerful sub; which can be better 'bang for the buck'.

Can I achieve a good upgrade in quality by buying a new set-up from an Internet Direct speaker company? Or am I better off ponying up for a RC-LCR and getting another pair of RC-30's to use as surrounds?

As a side note, I did find the RC-30's a bit harsh in the upper frequencies, but I have mostly solved this by going with a -2.5db x-curve in the mcacc setting in my receiver.

·
Photographer
I have a nice display and a good sound system
17,722 Posts
I think you are better off doubling-up on the RC-30s and getting the RC-LCR. If you have the room for four towers, that's absolutely the way to go IMO.

·
Registered
29,082 Posts
Do you live near a Fry's Electronics? These RC-70's are still showing up on the website. Check to see if there is a store in your area that carries them.
http://www.frys.com/product/7386304?source=googleps&gclid=CIWI3PDKmbsCFUdbfgodaW4A2w

They may actually go for $299ea in store which is the price we paid when Fry's had them on sale back in Feb. The RC-70 is a much better speaker than the RC-30. I thought they were all gone but when I search stores in NoCal and SoCal they still say available in some locations.

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
I had the RC 70s ,RC 50 and RC 30 all 3 for over a year and I found the RC 30 with the cleanest sound, the only problem was the bass but that is easily fix with a sub.I found that the RC 30 do not suffer from that excessive bass emphasis that impact the clarity of the voice and the clarity of some instruments in some audio tracks, but this can be fix with some tweaks like the foam plugs,moving the speakers away the walls or changing some settings on the receiver like eq ,tone or set the crossover not lower than 80hz, the RC 30 have a very clean and tight bass but it doesn't have that deep bass extension that the 70 and 50 have.

Here is a lcr center speaker for sale.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1503688/energy-rc-lcr-black-ash

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. Sounds like I am may have to manage the patience to wait and save for an rc-70 / RC-LCR combo. If I can get that for around $1K, that would be awesome, but I live in Nashville, so the Fry's deal is out of the question sadly. The other options is adding two RC-30's and an RC-LCR which would be cheaper.

This was the original idea I posted in the energy owners thread, but I wasn't sure if going with something like the acsend 340's would be better since I have a large sub.

·
Registered
29,082 Posts
You may like the sound of the Ascend better, they are good speakers. We don't have your ears so we can't make that decision for you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input, I certainly understand it's hard to find the energy rc series these days.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
Those speakers are not expensive ,they worth the price ,people this days are so cheap to buy lol ,the speakers are made of real wood veneer with quality parts.

That's exactly why I selling my setup at a huge price discount because people these days are so cheap.

RC and VERITAS are solid products.

The person is accepting offers.

·
Registered
29,082 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt  /t/1503714/upgrade-from-energy-rc-set-up-for-1250#post_24042614

Supply and demand...

Don't know if you live close to Norfolk VA but this guy has a RC-70's for sale. Looks like they're the good Rosenut color too. Or maybe cherry which looks good also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Energy-Reference-Connoisseur-RC-70-Speakers-/251394770569?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item3a884bc689

I did see this, but I think my wife would kill me if I got speakers that aren't black, since the rc-30's I have are black.

·
Registered
684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore  /t/1503714/upgrade-from-energy-rc-set-up-for-1250#post_24042606

Those speakers are not expensive ,they worth the price ,people this days are so cheap to buy lol ,the speakers are made of real wood veneer with quality parts.

That's exactly why I selling my setup at a huge price discount because people these days are so cheap.

RC and VERITAS are solid products.

The person is accepting offers.

The problem is the RC speakers were discounted so much and so many times it hurts the resale prices. When people are used to getting the RC-70 for $600/pair new, it makes RC-30 seem expensive for $500/pair used. It's not that they're not "worth"it. He should offer the guy $350-$400 and see what he says.

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
Its hard for those that paid more for the speakers to sell the speakers so cheap, all because the stores is trying to get rid of a discontinued product. Many people like me paid a lot more for the RC 70, I end up selling then for a lot less and lost $400 dollars because of those blowout sales affected my resale ,so you are correct it does affect...... buyers think that all sellers bought the speakers at the same blowout sale so they want the same discount they think the person bought the speakers for $600 a pair so they will not paid more than that and because is used they will offer less than $600.lol

Reactions: Gmash

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After doing some research, I could get some arx a5s, or some used Sierra 1's with raal tweeter. (Sierra towers are too far out of my budget). Any thoughts on what I miss by going with the book shelves?

I do have a sub, but I wonder how big of a deal missing a dedicated midrange driver would be. The raals just get such rave reviews it's seductive and my understanding is that my sub could make up for the low end.

·
Registered
476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettob170  /t/1503714/upgrade-from-energy-rc-set-up-for-1250#post_24082588

After doing some research, I could get some arx a5s, or some used Sierra 1's with raal tweeter. (Sierra towers are too far out of my budget). Any thoughts on what I miss by going with the book shelves?

I do have a sub, but I wonder how big of a deal missing a dedicated midrange driver would be. The raals just get such rave reviews is seductive and my understanding is that my sub could make up for the low end.

A guy on the ARX forums had the RC-10s, moved to the Sierra 1's, then finally moved to the ARX line. And that's where he stayed. Neutral and beautiful sound I believe is how he described it. He thought the ARX was similar to the Sierra 1's, but the sound of the sierra's was too 'forward' and the ARX tweeter sounded just right.

Now he was just describing the bookshelves in the ARX line. If you were going to take the leap for the A5's.... I really think you would be a happy camper. Make sure you have a big room so they can really shine

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiforce  /t/1503714/upgrade-from-energy-rc-set-up-for-1250#post_24083342

A guy on the ARX forums had the RC-10s, moved to the Sierra 1's, then finally moved to the ARX line. And that's where he stayed. Neutral and beautiful sound I believe is how he described it. He thought the ARX was similar to the Sierra 1's, but the sound of the sierra's was too 'forward' and the ARX tweeter sounded just right.

Now he was just describing the bookshelves in the ARX line. If you were going to take the leap for the A5's.... I really think you would be a happy camper. Make sure you have a big room so they can really shine
Wow, that sounds like the guy I need to talk to! I will see if I can find that post by searching RC-10 on the TAI forums. Thanks for the info.

On a side note, I posted the dimensions of my room, does that count as large in the speaker world? 22 L x 15 W x 10 H.

·
Registered
476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettob170  /t/1503714/upgrade-from-energy-rc-set-up-for-1250#post_24083460

Wow, that sounds like the guy I need to talk to! I will see if I can find that post by searching RC-10 on the TAI forums. Thanks for the info.

On a side note, I posted the dimensions of my room, does that count as large in the speaker world? 22 L x 15 W x 10 H.

Look at post #62 on the official ARX owners thread here on AVS forums.

And your room is a prefect size for the ARX A5's.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts