AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new receiver, Denon AVR-2112ci, and I'm using my 10 year-old Energy Take Fives. I'd like to upgrade the speakers but I don't have a lot to spend.

I'm looking at the Jamo s606 system currently on Vann's for around $400. Would that be a good upgrade? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Duncan

·
Registered
28,556 Posts
Sure the Jamo S606 would be a fine upgrade.

You could also get 2 towers and a center and use your 4 Take satellites as surround speakers.

You have optiions, just depends how you want to spend your money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I was thinking of just getting L/R/C and keeping the surrounds. They don't have to be towers, in fact bookshelf might go over better with the wife. I was looking at the HSU HB-1 and HC-1, or upgrade the front Energies to the RC-10 or 20 and the RC-LCR.

I think all those are in my price range, we mostly watch TV/movies but good sounding music is important too. That's one place where the Take 5s fall short imho.

Thanks,

Duncan

·
Registered
28,556 Posts
Yep, I used to own the Takes are they fall short with music. Nice little speakers though. Sold mine earlier this year.

I'm an Energy fan and own RC-10s so I would recommend them with the RC-LCR. Call Vanns because they've been having good deals on the RC-10. last person said he got them for $240/pr.

There's a thread about the HSU-HB1 stating that speaker is very good too, perhaps better than the RC-10s.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If it wont cause too much trouble with your wife I would go floor standing speakers over bookshelf. A pair of Energy CF-30's would be about the same price as a pair of RC-10's. If you could listen to both that would be best, but I feel like tower speakers really help fill out the higher frequency bass in music and movies and help make the bass sound like its coming from all around rather than just out of a subwoofer.

·
Registered
28,556 Posts
People just got the CF-70s for $150 each earlier this week from Vanns. At those prices skip the CF-30. Give them a call.

By the way I'd still rather have the RC-10 over the CF-30 tower. It's just a better overall speaker.

·
Registered
543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/20897360

People just got the CF-70s for $150 each earlier this week from Vanns. At those prices skip the CF-30. Give them a call.

By the way I'd still rather have the RC-10 over the CF-30 tower. It's just a better overall speaker.

True, a lucky few got the cf-70s for $150, but it was a mistake on Vanns part and they quickly adjusted the price. I think it would be pretty hard to get that deal anywhere in the near future.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I think at regular price, the CF-70 is a bit much. I read through most of the Jamo thread and the consensus seems to be the s606 is good "for the price." Whereas the HB-1 consensus seems to be they are amazing and would be at any price. Another thing I forgot to consider is that floor speakers would make a perfect cat scratching post. Leaning toward the HSU front 3 at this point.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so I auditioned some speakers today and I have to agree that floor standers sound much better than bookshelves for both movies and music.

I was fairly impressed by the Polk tsi400, which I understand are very similar to the Monitor 60 currently on sale at NewEgg, is that true?

They also had a set of Jamo s426 which I also liked, but I found the center to be weak, and I thought overall there was less clarity than the Polks, but the Jamos were positioned at the back of the room whereas the Polks were in the ideal spot, right next to the tv screen, and the center Polk had a lot more energy. I'm not sure how much effect position had, but the Jamos were in a really bad spot.

Then at Magnolia I was able to listen to some Energy CF-50s which I thought were the best of the bunch, but they are out of my price range I'm afraid.

So because I was not able to hear the Jamo s606, how would you compare them to the Jamo s426, and the Polk Monitor 60?

Thanks,

Duncan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts