AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new guy here with a question....First some details about what I have.

I currently have an HK AVR 500 that is working great, but I'm thinking about getting something newer and I'm looking at an AVR 247. It will be used for 5.1 surround with no immediate plans for 7.1 capabilities. Speakers are some old MTX towers a JBL S-Center II, JBL PB12 powered sub, and either Bose 101's or in-ceiling speakers for surround. I also have an up-converting Sony 5 disc DVD player and a 50" 720P Panasonic Plasma.

The only complaint I have with my current receiver is it doesn't seem to handle the center channel very well on movies. It seems I'm always having to mess with it to get where I can clearly hear dialogue and everything else isn't way too loud. Also it would be nice to have the HDMI inputs.

So back to my question do you guys think I would be happy updating from an AVR 500 to an AVR 247 for my home theater needs? Any other suggestions on what I might look for? Not really wanting to spend more than $300.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
I recently upgraded from an HK AVR 520, very similar to your 500, to the HK 247. I also have the same center channel you have but haven't had any problems with it other than trying to tone it down, it was simply too damn loud much of the time. Its 91db efficiency as compared to my mains of 89db may play a role in that.

At any rate, it depends on what you are expecting from the 247 that the 500 can't deliver on. Video upscaling is ok, but nothing to brag about. If you have lots of sources to converge on the 247 that would be a definite improvement over the 500. Where you will lose is power. The 247 has 50wpc x7 where your 500 has 70wpc x5. I use it as a pre/pro and route the preamps into an external amp so I can't comment on its power and sound except that the preamp sound is close to the 520. It works for what I need.

It is easy to configure. I have it set up for 2 channel satellite listening, CD 2 channel, DVD 2 channel and 5.1 for movies, 2 channel and 5.1 from the computer. And a few more. I love the ease of configuring and it stays the way I put it. The 520 seemed to switch preferences for no reason.

It also has better sound processing, something I've noticed with it over the 520. The hdmi switching is nice but wasn't a necessity for me as I only have one hdmi device, the satellite receiver.

You can buy one from Harman Audio for very resonable if you don't mind refurbished. Mine was used so little that I smelled the fresh hot electronics smell from it for several days, a clear indication it wasn't used much before I bought it. It looks brand new even now. No scratches at all. They go for around $200 on ebay.

http://stores.ebay.com/Harman-Audio

If you have the zone ll remote, the small one, keep it if you sell the 500, it works for the 247 except it has no hdmi button.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input.

I ended up winning an auction on one of the refurbs from ebay for the 247. I was a little worried about the difference in power output, but as I don't really crank up the stereo much anymore I think the 247 will be good for me. I am hoping the signal processing is better for the surround so I get better balance between the towers and the center channel. I guess if the power ends up being an issue that just gives me an excuse to buy a good amp.

Good thing is I think I already have the 500 sold for half the cost of what I paid for the 247!

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
The difference in power isn't that great. I don't think you will hear the difference, as you said, you don't crank it up much.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I will be happy with it. Unfortunately the sale of my old unit fell through.

So for the time being I own 2 HK's

1 - 6 of 6 Posts