AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a venerable old Marantz SR5003 receiver from 2008, driving a Paradigm Cinema 100 5.1 speaker/sub set. Occasionally I think about replacing the center channel speaker with something heftier but overall I’ve been very happy with the sound of this setup, which is in a fairly small room in the basement.

I use it for movies (both streamed and on disc), TV, streaming apps, PS4 and Switch. Once in awhile for music.

Despite things sounding good, a recent upgrade to a 4K Sony X900H has me pondering upgrading the receiver since it obviously can’t do 4K passthrough, but more crucially it doesn’t support ARC or Dolby Digital Plus and so for many Android TV apps on the TV (Disney Plus, Google Play, Crave, etc) I’m only getting stereo over the optical cable. 😱 The Netflix app outputs Dolby Digital, and the PS4 and Switch connected to the TV do surround just fine too, so I know it’s at least setup properly—just seems to be a limitation of using optical out from the TV.

Assuming I don’t have ambitious expansion plans for speakers or room
renovations, what is a newer receiver that is going to be as good as the Marantz? Obviously I could just stay with Marantz and get an SR5014 or 5015, but I was surprised to see how pricey they are these days. I originally chose the SR5003 in part because I wanted to use it for music but that’s less of a concern now since it’s rarely used for that purpose.

Am I going to notice a sound quality difference if I get something quite a bit cheaper like the Denon AVR-S750? It’s a bit lower powered but I get the sense that I’ve never really needed as many watts as the 5003 can deliver given the small speakers and small room. Or I could do one of the slim Marantz receivers which are lower powered and lower priced but still seem capable.

Alternatively should I just grab a SHARC converter and keep what I have for now while the dust settles on HDMI 2.1… tbh it’s unclear to me if that will actually solve the problem with DD+ from the Sony TV to an old receiver but it seems like probably?

·
Registered
29,058 Posts
Can you set your Sony TV to output Dolby Digital instead of DD+?

My TCL lets me change the audio output from DD+ to Dolby Digital so then I can get Dolby Digital thru the optical out. I've never owned a Sony TV so I don't know.

The Denon s750 is a good inexpensive option if you decide to get another receiver with 4K passthrough and eARC or ARC for your Sony 900H. It has the same version of Audyssey Mult EQ as your sr5003 so the sound may not be that different.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
I'm not completely certain, but I believe that the optical output of the X900H offers a choice between PCM stereo, and a varfiety of compressed multichannel modes. The maximum may be 5.1 audio. That would be typical. (I have an LG TV, and a Denon AVR that I use as the audio hub. I don't use the apps from the TV, but rather an Amazon Fire Cube.) I can't find a detailed online manual to provide a reference.

If you don't demand high bandwidth audio, you may be able to live with your current receiver.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you set your Sony TV to output Dolby Digital instead of DD+?
I’ve tried playing with the sound setting on the TV. There is an option to switch between DD+ and DD but it only seems to apply to ARC output, not optical. In any case it doesn’t fix the problem. 😞

The Denon s750 is a good inexpensive option if you decide to get another receiver with 4K passthrough and eARC or ARC for your Sony 900H. It has the same version of Audyssey Mult EQ as your sr5003 so the sound may not be that different.
Thanks, this is useful info!

·
Registered
29,058 Posts
found this online for the Sony 900H

Dolby Digital Plus output
Select output for Dolby Digital Plus for audio systems supporting Dolby Digital Plus and ARC. If you use ARC and optical audio out, select [Dolby Digital]. (Dolby Digital Plus will be muted over optical audio out.)
So it sounds like you can set it to Dolby Digital instead of DD+

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you don't demand high bandwidth audio, you may be able to live with your current receiver.
I’m not too bothered about Atmos or what not, but I am definitely not satisfied with, e.g. Disney Plus only doing stereo. If I watch Disney Plus through my PS4, it’s surround but only 1080p. If I use the Android TV app, I get 4K HDR, but only stereo sound. I just want 4K and 5.1 together as the gods intended! 😄

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Disney+ on my Apple TV outputs Atmos. If you can afford the added expenses of the extra speakers and a Atmos receiver, it’s worth it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts