AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've had an Onkyo TX-SR607 receiver since last year and I like it quite a bit. However we moved into a new house this year, and all of my A/V components are now hidden in a cabinet, and driven by a Logitech Harmony 900. This causes two problems with regards to the TX-SR607:

1) Heat! The receiver fits pretty snugly inside the new cabinet, and it gets extremely hot. I can't touch the top for more than a couple of seconds without burning my hand. Additionally the Xbox 360 is located on a shelf 2" above the receiver, so it gets really hot as well, even when powered off. The minute I turn the console on (an Elite 120GB), the fans run full blast and never let up. This is unfortunately the only place the console and receiver can fit in the cabinet. At these temperatures I am concerned for the life of both the receiver and console.

2) Front Display is no longer visible. The receiver has to be placed sideways in order to fit so even if the cabinet door was open, I couldn't see the front display. Unless I walk up to the cabinet, I am now unable to see what output mode the receiver is in, volume level, current input, etc. This is more of an inconvenience than anything, but it's really annoying.

So I've been thinking of selling my Onkyo 607 and buying a refurbished x08 model (for not much more). When it comes to heat, it seems that Onkyo made a lot of progress with the x08 series. I've heard these run a lot cooler than previous models. The other draw in these new models is the OSD over HDMI, which would elegantly take care of the second issue.

What are your thoughts on upgrading to either an Onkyo 508, or 608 receiver? I'm not sure which to go for, or if it even makes sense.

I have a fairly basic 5.1 setup:

2x Energy C-100 fronts

1x Energy C-C100 center

2x Energy Veritas 2.0 CM-SK rears (ceiling mounted)

1x Hsu Research STF-3 subwoofer

Nothing too fancy like 7.1, height channels, dual zones, or dual subwoofers. I don't care for 3D yet as my TV (Samsung LN-T5265F) is unable to play back that type of content. I only have an HTPC and Xbox 360 plugged in via 2 HDMI inputs.

So my needs are pretty simple but I want good sound and video quality.

I appreciate any input you can provide... I'm also willing to look at non-Onkyo receivers, although I am not too familiar with alternatives.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
93,204 Posts
The 607 and 608 both only have the most basic version of Audyssey (2EQ) which provides no filtering to the sub (which needs it the most). Upgrade to the Denon 2310 (last year's HDMI 1.3 model) which has an on screen GUI that displays over HDMI video (nice especially when AVR out of view). It has the more advanced version of Audyssey MultEQ (w/sub filtering) and is currently on clearance at many Best Buy's for $200-$400. Also, Denon AVRs run barely luke warm to the touch.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Figure out a way to get more room on top of the receiver for proper ventilation. If your current Onkyo was able to burn your hand. That won't be good for any receiver being inside that cabinet. As well as the X-Box being in close proximity and also getting very hot as well. Heat is the main enemy of all electronics. You will shorten the lifespan of any piece of equipment with the lack of proper ventilation you have.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
The 607 and 608 both only have the most basic version of Audyssey (2EQ) which provides no filtering to the sub (which needs it the most). Upgrade to the Denon 2310 (last year's HDMI 1.3 model) which has an on screen GUI that displays over HDMI video (nice especially when AVR out of view). It has the more advanced version of Audyssey MultEQ (w/sub filtering) and is currently on clearance at many Best Buy's for $200-$400. Also, Denon AVRs run barely luke warm to the touch.

Thanks jdsmoothie. I will check with my local Best Buy to see if they have a Denon 2310 available. It seems to be a bit wider than the 607/608 so it might be a tight fit! The Audissey MultEQ capability sounds like a great addition however. I have a RadioShack SPL but have yet to do any measurements. Having Audissey do it for me sounds even better

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel /forum/post/19525989

Figure out a way to get more room on top of the receiver for proper ventilation. If your current Onkyo was able to burn your hand. That won't be good for any receiver being inside that cabinet. As well as the X-Box being in close proximity and also getting very hot as well. Heat is the main enemy of all electronics. You will shorten the lifespan of any piece of equipment with the lack of proper ventilation you have.

I wish it were possible to relocate the receiver but unfortunately this is the only place where it can be, because of the layout of the room. The back of the cabinet is actually open, and the receiver is the only component that gets super hot; the HTPC and the Xbox on their own only get mildly warm. Come to think of it, even when the Onkyo 607 was not in a cabinet it would still get really, really hot. And you're right, I am definitely concerned with shortening the lifespan of my electronics which is why I'm looking to change this soon. Thanks!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I ended up buying two

I had to drive 50+ miles each way but I walked out of Best Buy with a Denon AVR-2310 and a Denon AVR-3310. They were both on clearance, so I picked one up for my dad as well. Now I need to decide which one to keep.

I compared the two on the Denon web site but I'm still not too clear if the AVR-3310 would yield better audio/video quality, or if it's mostly about extra inputs and network features.

Between these two, what would make the most sense considering my speakers and components? Thanks!

·
Registered
700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkle /forum/post/19542147

Well, I ended up buying two

I had to drive 50+ miles each way but I walked out of Best Buy with a Denon AVR-2310 and a Denon AVR-3310. They were both on clearance, so I picked one up for my dad as well. Now I need to decide which one to keep.

I compared the two on the Denon web site but I'm still not too clear if the AVR-3310 would yield better audio/video quality, or if it's mostly about extra inputs and network features.

Between these two, what would make the most sense considering my speakers and components? Thanks!

i'm not expert but i just demo'd these 2 models myself and there are a few differences i noticed.

1) the 3310 has more power, and sounds a little cleaner, gets a little louder, bass seems 'meatier'.

2) the 3310 has preouts for an ext amp plus an ethernet connection for firmware updates/streaming radio

3) USB port for music on jumpdrives\\

4) no picture difference, both have the audyssey MultEQ

off the top of my head....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was able to find one store close that had 2 of them. Apparently they only sell them at the Magnolia stores in my area. Anyway, got it for $179, and a 4 year warranty for another $35...pretty hard to beat that. The clearance tag they had on it said $369, so I asked the guy to double check it and he came back nearly speechless and told me $179.

Thanks for the heads up on this steal!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts