AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I've had a pair of Mini Monitor v5's for about 1.5 years now, and I've started to get upgraditis. The mini's seem a tad too bright for my ears. Not a lot, just a bit overdone there. Overall, I'm still a fan of the open sound they have, but I haven't listened to many other comparable speakers.

I'd like something that's a bit less harsh, with clearer midrange and more midbass (I'd love a bit more punch to the speakers). Better imaging and a wider soundstage would be nice too.

I'd like to stick with bookshelf models around the $1k price point (I'm not a fan of floorstanding models).

Usage is around 50/30/20 music/movies/games. Music is mainly rock, with a little pop and jazz thrown in for good measure.

The speakers will be getting paired to a Marantz SR5003, and a HSU STF-2 10" sub. I'll eventually fill the system out to 5.1 (probably move the Mini's to the rear), but since the receiver has 7 channels, I'd like to be able to passively bi-amp the front speakers that will replace the Mini's.

So far, I'm really digging what I've seen on the new Studio 20 v5's. MSRP on these is $1199; I don't want to spend over this if I can avoid it. So I'm looking for suggestions on what speakers compete with the Studio 20's I guess. Trying to get a list of speakers put together before I go and listen to stuff. I'll dig around on the forums too and see what I can come up with, but it'd be nice to get some fresh responses too. Thanks everyone!

EDIT: I figure I'll keep a list of what I plan on listening to up here. MSRP's are listed as well; yeah, it's a really wide price range. I could probably trim a couple speakers off the high and low ends and be good; say everything above $1300 and below $800, give or take.

B&W 705 $1500

B&W CM5 $1500

Monitor Audio GS10 $1500

Boston Acoustics VS 260 $1400

Usher X-718 $1300

Dynaudio Excite X12 $1200

Paradigm Studio 20 $1200 (for the v.5's)

PSB GB1 $1100

Era D5 $1000

Ascend Sierra-1 $900 (black finish)

Dynaudio Audience 52 $900

JBL HT5 $900

Totem Rainmaker $900

Klipsch RB-81 $800

NHT Classic 3 $800

Polk LSi7 $800

JBL L830 $750

Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 450 $660

Energy RC-10 $600

Kef iQ30 $600

FINAL EDIT: If anyone was curious, I went with the Studio 20's after listening to the speakers in my post below, and I absolutely love them...no surprise, seeing how much I liked the Mini Monitors. I was going to go listen to a bunch of other stuff, but made the mistake of stopping by the Paradigm dealer first that day
. I may still take the speakers around and see how they stack up to stuff, or try some internet direct speakers if shipping isn't too much. I still can't get over the midrange on those NHT's, honestly.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I haven't heard them side by side with the Mini's, but you might want to check out some NHT Classic 3's.

I used to own Mini Monitors, replaced them with Studio 60's now (in the theater room). I want to get a pair of NHT Classic 3's for my basement now (music only). Great mid range speakers.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjv998 /forum/post/15510627

Hi everyone. I've had a pair of Mini Monitor v5's for about 1.5 years now, and I've started to get upgraditis. The mini's seem a tad too bright for my ears. Not a lot, just a bit overdone there. Overall, I'm still a fan of the open sound they have, but I haven't listened to many other comparable speakers.

I'd like something that's a bit less harsh, with clearer midrange and more midbass (I'd love a bit more punch to the speakers).

I'd like to stick with bookshelf models around the $1k price point (I'm not a fan of floorstanding models).

Usage is around 50/30/20 music/movies/games. Music is mainly rock, with a little pop and jazz thrown in for good measure.

The speakers will be getting paired to a Marantz SR5003, and a HSU STF-2 10" sub. I'll eventually fill the system out to 5.1 (probably move the Mini's to the rear), but since the receiver has 7 channels, I'd like to be able to passively bi-amp the front speakers that will replace the Mini's.

So far, I'm really digging what I've seen on the new Studio 20 v5's. MSRP on these is $1199; I don't want to spend over this if I can avoid it. So I'm looking for suggestions on what speakers compete with the Studio 20's I guess. Trying to get a list of speakers put together before I go and listen to stuff. I'll dig around on the forums too and see what I can come up with, but it'd be nice to get some fresh responses too. Thanks everyone!

the sale price for the studio 20's should be a tad under $1000. Please listen to the speakers first before you make a decision.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I've found Paradigm, NHT, and B&W dealers near me, and I'm in the middle of finding a Monitor Audio dealer. Dynaudio and PSB look like they're out of the question, since I can't find a nearby dealer for either of them (would have to drive ~3 hours each way for either one). May have to see if anyone near me own either of them.

Anyone have any more ideas on speakers I may be missing, or have any opinions on any of the ones I mentioned in my (admittedly long) list? (Personally, I have a hunch that the JBL and Boston offerings won't stack up to the likes of Paradigm, NHT, etc., but I may be wrong.) Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Did you try B&W CM series? I like the CM1 and the CM5 more so than any Paradigm or Klipsch I've heard. My ears aren't the same as yours, but give them a listen if you can. They are the top on my list right now. I have some Ascend Sierra's on the way, should be here middle of the week.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vili /forum/post/15527825

Did you try B&W CM series? I like the CM1 and the CM5 more so than any Paradigm or Klipsch I've heard. My ears aren't the same as yours, but give them a listen if you can. They are the top on my list right now. I have some Ascend Sierra's on the way, should be here middle of the week.

Actually I overlooked them, I assumed they were similar to Paradigm's Millenia speakers (thought I saw something on B&W's site about them being a "lifestyle" speaker). I'll have to look into them some more, maybe I was wrong in that assumption. Let us know how the Ascends are, by the way.

EDIT: Added the CM5's to the list. Don't know where I got the wrong impression about them. They're at the top of my price range, but worth a listen.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I'll let you know about the Ascends. UPS says I am supposed to get them Wednesday, but I'm hoping Tuesday.

The B&Ws I loved. They are one of those brands that either you love or hate....at least that is what appears to be from everyone else on the forums. The CM1s were 1k a pair and the CM5s were 1500 a pair. The CM5's are newer and sounded identical to the 1's except for a more full midrange. I don't know if they are worth the 1.5x the price of the 1's though since I'm on a budget. Me personally would probably get the 1's and matching center and that would be a little over my budget. My local (3 hours away) B&W dealer offered me 17% off MSRP if I pay cash for the speakers so that helps on the price as well.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vili /forum/post/15528031

I'll let you know about the Ascends. UPS says I am supposed to get them Wednesday, but I'm hoping Tuesday.

The B&Ws I loved. They are one of those brands that either you love or hate....at least that is what appears to be from everyone else on the forums. The CM1s were 1k a pair and the CM5s were 1500 a pair. The CM5's are newer and sounded identical to the 1's except for a more full midrange. I don't know if they are worth the 1.5x the price of the 1's though since I'm on a budget. Me personally would probably get the 1's and matching center and that would be a little over my budget. My local (3 hours away) B&W dealer offered me 17% off MSRP if I pay cash for the speakers so that helps on the price as well.

Yeah, I was just going to mention that I'd prefer to stay away from 5" woofers, although I noticed that is a large price difference between the CM1 and 5. Maybe my fear of 5" woofers isn't justified though. I'm just concerned that they wouldn't have enough midbass for my liking, seeing how my Mini Monitors are 6.5" woofers and are still lacking there a tad. Maybe I'll throw together a list of bookshelves in my price range with 5" woofers too. (I think a few models managed to sneak on my list as it is anyway).

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Alright, let me know if there is anything else I can do. I'm still an audio noob, but I can tell you what I've heard with my own ears.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
From your list, the only ones that I think would retain that open sound but without the brightness would be another Paradigm, Dynaudio, or the Usher X-718 but it's too expensive (best cabinet though). I'd check out the JMLab Chorus 806V or alternatively 706V if it's not within your budget. I wouldn't discount PSB as well as they are very well balanced speakers with midrange that's to die for.

The rest are by no means bad, but more focused on certain areas and types of music. Some like Monitor Audio is brighter than your MM.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda /forum/post/15528636

From your list, the only ones that I think would retain that open sound but without the brightness would be another Paradigm, Dynaudio, or the Usher X-718 but it's too expensive (best cabinet though). I'd check out the JMLab Chorus 806V or alternatively 706V if it's not within your budget. I wouldn't discount PSB as well as they are very well balanced speakers with midrange that's to die for.

The rest are by no means bad, but more focused on certain areas and types of music. Some like Monitor Audio is brighter than your MM.

Brighter than the Mini's? Oh man, definitely don't want that, haha. Thanks, your post is really helpful. This is the sort of stuff I was looking for.

So the other speakers sound more muffled or something I guess?

On a side note, I guess it's time to track down some reviews on these speakers. Hopefully I'll be able to go listen to some of them in a couple weeks (Studio v4, NHT Classic 3, B&W's, maybe the Monitor Audios).

·
Registered
127 Posts
I own the CM1s - I haven't heard the Mini Monitors, but I was able to demo (I think) Studio 20s recently. Unfortunately, I didn't have my own music with me, so you can probably take everything I say with a grain of salt. The Paradigms were much, much more forward than my CM1s, and perhaps it was how the showroom had them positioned, but I didn't find that they imaged quite as well as I liked. Considering how Paradigms seemed to be praised for their imaging, I was fairly surprised.

Discounting the imaging and how forward they seemed, I thought they sounded pretty good - I'm tempted to say they sounded neutral to my ears. My CM1s, on the other hand, have a somewhat colored sound, but have (in my opinion) a brilliant midrange. I feel like they punch out of their weight class on the bottom end too, but that could be just the slightly exaggerated upper/mid bass that disguises the lack of low bass from a small cabinet, 5.25" driver speaker.

And as much as I like my CM1s, I'll be trading up to the CM5s at the end of the month... this habit and my wallet are becoming good friends...

·
Registered
2,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjv998 /forum/post/15529700

So the other speakers sound more muffled or something I guess?

Many of them are focused on certain freqs or play some things really well. Like B&W has that saddle FR with the bass and treble being emphasized, so forget the vocals. The KEF can make individual instruments sound real with great imaging but forget soundstage. The ones I listed are good all purpose models that can play anything well though if you're looking into playing certain types of music, there are those focused speakers. I'd stick with any of these:

Usher X-718 $1300

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, so I listened to some speakers today. Here's what I came up with (all the speakers were ran off of Rotel amps):

B&W 705: Sounded a little harsh; the tweeters definitely could've been better in these. Highs just weren't very sharp/crisp/precise. Overall I was kind of disappointed with these, considering their price tag. Maybe they weren't set up well.

NHT Classic Four towers: They didn't have Classic Threes, so I listened to these, since they look like they have the same drivers as the Threes, but add a sub. I -really- liked the midrange on these, distorted electric guitar sounded really nice. Imaging/soundstage seemed pretty good too IIRC. Too bad the tweeters weren't as pronounced as I'd like. If only the tweeters on these were a bit more noticeable and didn't get covered up with the mids and bass.

NHT Verve (pretty sure they were the "Large" satellites): Didn't care for these at all, but the salesman was really pushing them. Didn't think they sounded any better than my Mini Monitors; if anything they may have sounded a tad worse.

Mirage tower speakers: Not sure what model these were, but I knew I didn't care for them as soon as they got turned on. Just sounded kind of cheap, not sure how else to put it.

At this point, in a month or so I'm going to go listen to the Paradigm Studio 20's and something from B&W's CM line, and I may still try to find some Classic Threes to listen to out of curiosity. (If I like the Studio's, I'm going to wait and get the v5's, which my dealer said he expects to get around April.) Based on the above, does anybody have any further suggestions?

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
You could try the Ascend Sierra's. I got mine in earlier in the week and like them so far. They are cheaper than the CM series from B&W and very comparably imo.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vili /forum/post/15583487

You could try the Ascend Sierra's. I got mine in earlier in the week and like them so far. They are cheaper than the CM series from B&W and very comparably imo.

Okay, now you've caught my attention. (Also, I've done some reading, and they supposedly have great bass due to the long throw on the woofers, I just wonder what the tradeoff is to achieve that.)

What type of sound do the Sierras have (warm/bright, etc.) ?

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I don't really know enough about audio to tell you to be honest. I don't have audiophile ears by any means and not enough experience to describe the sound as warm or bright. They do sound comparable to the CM series imo and are cheaper.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts