AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I moved into a new place and the old 42" pioneer just isn't big enough -I would really love a new pio, but the cueerrent online prices are just insanity (2700 for a 5020). What has emerged as the "new pioneer"? I have no problem spending 2k'ish, but getting to 3g's seems kind of dumb. Should I wait for the new 2010 models? I love the deep blacks of the pio, and will not go to LCD...if you cold spend 2000-2500 on a new 50", where would you go? Dealer offers welcome if you have a unit lying around

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Wait for the 2010 panels to come out, see how they're reviewed and make a purchase decision based off that. If Panasonic has fixed the rising black level issue on their 2010 models, I would recommend the VT20 or VT25 in 50" which should be right in your budget and they are 1080p-3D to boot.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
You can find Pios at various retailers. Best Buy has some on their website and I bet a few of the forum sponsors do too. Its worth checking out since anything else will be somewhat of a downgrade from the Pio!

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey /forum/post/18152220

You can find Pios at various retailers. Best Buy has some on their website and I bet a few of the forum sponsors do too. Its worth checking out since anything else will be somewhat of a downgrade from the Pio!

Actually the 50" 1080p Panasonics and maybe even the Samsung Plasmas would be an upgrade from his old 42" Pioneer regardless of which model he has (they were all pre-Kuro and are all 768p).

·
Registered
284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/18152626

Actually the 50" 1080p Panasonics and maybe even the Samsung Plasmas would be an upgrade from his old 42" Pioneer regardless of which model he has (they were all pre-Kuro and are all 768p).

There was one generation of 42'' Kuros (4280/950). The 2010 Panasonics will probably be comparable to that.

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaticpuma /forum/post/18152796

There was one generation of 42'' Kuros (4280/950). The 2010 Panasonics will probably be comparable to that.

Oh you're right - i forgot that the 8G Pios were also Kuro. I was thinking of the 9G models which had even better black levels, but didn't come in the 42" size. And i should know better - i almost bought a 4280HD for it's black levels but the SDE stopped me in my tracks

But i do think that the 12G Panasonic's black levels are on a par with the 8G Pioneers, and are much better than all the older Pioneers. It would help if we knew the model number of the OP's 42" Pioneer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.