AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I have had an Samsung LNT5265F and an LNT4065F since around September of 2007. At first, I had several service calls to have techs come out and upgrade the main boards and the firmware. They got pretty sick of me calling them and getting them out here. I have never been overly thrilled with these sets, as they appear very grainy/blurry when up close to them. I'm on DirecTV and have even had DirecTV out here multiple times to see if it was an issue with my signal since the 40" model cost about $2,500 in 2007 and the 52" cost me $3,995 in 2007. You can understand my disappointment that I'm still dealing with the same issues several years later and just really not pleased with the picture quality. What's funny, is that the 32" Samsung that I've got in my bedroom, and had since 2005, seems to have a much crisper pic than the LNT...65F models.

I recently helped my parents get their first HDTV and they went with the Samsung LNB40640 from Best Buy. Neither I nor them like the chin on the 650 models and the ugly red accents. I had the 640 hooked up at my house for a couple of weeks to tweak the settings and check for firmware updates...quite frankly I hated going back to my LNT4065F model in my living room.

Here is my dilemma. I am really not happy with the LNT...65F models that I currently own but I have about $6,500 invested in them because of the high purchase price in 2007. Even if I sell them now, I could probably only re-coup about $1,500 combined for the two if I sell them.

How much experience does everyone have with the 640 line? The price is GREAT for what you get (I can get a 40" and a 55" for about $2,500 combined). What is the main driver behind these sets being SOOOOOOOO much cheaper than '07....has the technology advanced that far such that the box stores can afford to sell a 120 Hz set with a sick Dynamic Contrast ratio for these prices?

I'm going to lose money, but I want a picture I'm satisfied with and it is hard to argue with the price of the 640 series, the picture quality, and the overall look of the sets (plus I'd be going up to a 55" from a 52").

Give me your opinions please guys. Would you bite the bullet and upgrade? I don't want to spend the money on LED LCDs yet, but really want 120 Hz. This is one I'm really gonna have to talk my wife into if I decide to do it. Sorry for the long thread. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Matt

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In doing a quick scan of the site, it now appears that there are certain Samsung panels to avoid and certain ones to look for. Which are the good ones and which are the bad ones? What is the tell-tale to let me know what the set has when I look at the box?

Thanks!

·
Registered
137 Posts
the b640/b650 are a significant upgrade to the 65f series. I have a 55b650 and my brother has a 4665 and I will tell you right now the b650 destroys the 65 easily.

I tell you what, I payed more money for a 4071 back in the days then a 55b650 is today
thats just the way technology goes.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But what about all these "panel issues" that I am now reading about...this scares me to death...much, much of a significant issue than the firmware issues I dealt with three years ago. I don't know what to buy! Why can't Samsung half decent QA/QC? Is ignorance of all these issues bliss? I just want to upgrade my sets and not live in constant worry.

Matt

·
Registered
137 Posts
well for 55b650 and 55b640 panels theres either SQ or CN. SQ is samsung and CN is chi mei.

I have the CN panel and I think it absolutely fantastic.

55b640 is a best buy exclusive if I am not mistaken so when you go buy it if you must just ask the employee to go into the warehouse and check the boxes for an SQ panel.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 640 series is a Best Buy exclusive. How do I look at the box and differentiate between an SQ or CN panel? I tried to go in the back before and they aren't real open to that but we'll make it happen...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Should be a barcode on the lower side of the samsung box that starts with SQ or CN. Theres a pic of exactly where it is floating around on this site somewhere... obviously they wont let you go in the back but if you say where it is they can look for you.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From what I've read thus far...there are pros and cons to the SQ and the CN panel and that S > A > C is not necessarily a reality...

This sucks that I can't just go buy a couple of TVs and know that I'm getting quality for my money.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the "panel lottery" worth the ordeal considering the problems I went through in '07 with board/firmware issues, clouding, pink/green flashes, etc?

Are we over analyzing these things?

I need some advice guys...you are scaring me to death that I'm going to put myself in a worse circumstance by "upgrading" (or so I at least think) to the new '09 model 640 series Samsung LCD TVs.

Matt

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I'd keep what you have as long as you can stand it, I don't see how $6,500 worth of TV's can be that bad... The longer you wait to upgrade the lower the cost will be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts