AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here has upgraded from a z9 and to what?

It is hard to let go of what was once supposed to be the king of receivers but time and technology marches on.

I was considering adding a processor like an Integra 9.9 or the like and using the z9 as an amplifier only.

what do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone?

·
Registered
382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler  /t/1424479/upgrade-from-yamaha-z9#post_22304990

anyone?

I would, I really love Yamaha and the Z9 has a GREAT amp section.. as good as some seperates that are out now.. I have owned ALOT of Yammie's in my time.. the 3090 , Z1 and DSP-A1.. awesome stuff.. I would think your Z9 is similar to those and from what i remember and heard of it , it had a beefy amp section.. I would definitely go the seperate processor route and use your Z9 as an amp. I would go with a decent processor... The Marantz AV-7005 has gotten rave reviews.. I would think its section would sound a little better than the Onkyo stuff..... let me know what you decide to do.. you know, you could just keep your Z9 as is.. it does actually have bass management built-in if i remember correctly and use a Oppo BDP-95 with 6 or 7 cables hooked up to the multi-in's and get pretty awesome sound with the oppo .. and the HDMI going directly to the TV.. should sound awesome,,, let me know what you decide to do.. I know that HDMI is awfully convienent BUT that Z9 is a great piece and it may not have perfect bass management like the newer HDMI pieces have, it is pretty advanced and I bet would sound great with the sabre-32 Dac's in the oppo-95,,,,,,
.. hope this helps...

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i do have it connected via rca's to a Oppo 83SE.

The room calibration that came with the z9 did not impress me that much.

One thing missing is the low LFE with the z9. If I remember right it does not do below something like 50HZ I think. That is a shame because I have an infinite baffle array with four 15" drivers that should really go down all the way to subsonics.

So, will a pre-pro accept a hdmi signal and send analog out to the z9?

Or am I wasting my time since the oppo is doing the heavy lifting on the decoding side and sending a signal straight to the z9?

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bump

1 - 5 of 5 Posts