AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible there's a device out there that supports essentially being an HDMI-ARC audio device that passes through to an HDMI 1.3 receiver which doesn't support ARC?

Reason for this, I'd like to use my smart TV's software without buying a 3rd-party box and the only way to do this is to fake the TV into thinking my receiver supports ARC. Only way to do it is to plug in a compatible audio device even if it's just a pass-through.

Does such a device exist? Is it possible to do this without upgrading my receiver?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Actually, this seems pretty useless now that I found a thread that explains more: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-h...c-tv-non-arc-sound-receiver.html#post23639991

My TV already supports all of the ARC audio outputs over Optical so I don't need to use ARC in any way to get those working. The only benefit for me would be the convenience of devices that support CEC which my receiver does not. An easy way around that is using an HDMI splitter that supports CEC.

I'm assuming that has another problem if the video output requires HDCP. I don't know how splitters handle it, but I'm sure it would be a problem.

tl;dr
ARC doesn't solve the HDMI 1.3 receiver problem as it's just as bad, if not worse, than what Optical supports. And if you plug devices directly into an HDMI 1.3 receiver that does not support CEC, you will lose out on CEC. Seemingly no good way to fix that without using a splitter and possibly having HDCP issues along with it.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
HDMI version numbers - best to ignore any mention of them as they don't tell you anything about the actual capabilities of the kit you are working with.

CEC - is only relevant if all devices are CEC compliant.

CEC - has been consistently poor since its introduction so not having it is no great loss, a programmable remote is a far better solution.

ARC - can carry the same range of signals as an Optical cable, what a particular TV will Output via ARC or Optical can vary from model to model.

TV Optical Out - seems to be the obvious solution for your TV Audio.

HDCP - is required between the Source, the TV and any Repeater (AVR, Switch, Splitter etc) which are connected via HDMI, it is not relevant if the devices are only connected via Optical.

Joe

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ended up canning this idea once I found HDMI-ARC doesn't allow for higher quality audio than optical.

For my particular issue, I ended up buying a Roku. Gives me the audio options I want for streaming. And I found out my receiver does HDMI-CEC passthrough so that's all working now.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I wonder if it would be possible to convert eARC output to regular HDMI 1.3 (with fake blank video signal between HDMI 2.1 TV and 1.3 receiver).
The TV can't mirror LPCM formats with it's current firmware but it's supposed to work with future updates. And for that matter, the internal player doesn't decode or pass HD formats either, so the only benefit would be DD+ over regular DD (but I am not sure if the Netflix app on LG TVs omits DD+ because of potential bandwidth issues or some other reasons --- SPDIF can use DD+ but not with it's max bandwidth and I guess they were lazy to select DD+ based on actual streaming bitrate --- but I am not sure if DD+ works with eARC and current firmware/appversion).

·
Registered
18,573 Posts
I wonder if it would be possible to convert eARC output to regular HDMI 1.3 (with fake blank video signal between HDMI 2.1 TV and 1.3 receiver).
The TV can't mirror LPCM formats with it's current firmware but it's supposed to work with future updates. And for that matter, the internal player doesn't decode or pass HD formats either, so the only benefit would be DD+ over regular DD (but I am not sure if the Netflix app on LG TVs omits DD+ because of potential bandwidth issues or some other reasons --- SPDIF can use DD+ but not with it's max bandwidth and I guess they were lazy to select DD+ based on actual streaming bitrate --- but I am not sure if DD+ works with eARC and current firmware/appversion).
ARC/eARC is a function (or feature set) of the HDMI chipset(s) on the source and sink. Optical, in lieu of ARC is an option but you won't get HD Audio if that's your goal. You'd be best off to upgrade your receiver to one that has the same HDMI chipsets that your LG has (probably HDMI 2.0 and ideally HDMI 2.1).

·
Registered
827 Posts
ARC/eARC is a function (or feature set) of the HDMI chipset(s) on the source and sink. Optical, in lieu of ARC is an option but you won't get HD Audio if that's your goal. You'd be best off to upgrade your receiver to one that has the same HDMI chipsets that your LG has (probably HDMI 2.0 and ideally HDMI 2.1).
I am thinking about some device like this https://www.hdfury.com/product/maestro/ but obviously much cheaper (this would cost more than the used value of my current AVR) with much less features. Some FPGA based box which receives eARC and sends it out as HDMI 1.3 audio.
Maestro is also capable of extracting full audio from any TV ARC or eARC (HDMI2.1) up to Atmos High Bit Rate over True HD and forward it via 720p/1080p HDMI to ANY capable AVR input!
Although I am not sure if this means embedded audio with video over TMDS channels or yet another eARC stream on the ethernet channel. But this is just an example...

·
Registered
18,573 Posts
I am thinking about some device like this https://www.hdfury.com/product/maestro/ but obviously much cheaper (this would cost more than the used value of my current AVR) with much less features. Some FPGA based box which receives eARC and sends it out as HDMI 1.3 audio.

Although I am not sure if this means embedded audio with video over TMDS channels or yet another eARC stream on the ethernet channel. But this is just an example...
HDFury is something you can look into. I didn't mention it because it is an expensive option. How long is your cable run. That's something else you may need to consider. Saving up for a compatible receiver might be the best, and easiest long-term solution.

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
Or, you know, spend $50 on a Roku device and be done with it all. ARC makes very little sense unless your receiver is a mile away from the TV.

Nobody using a decent receiver and speakers should be using a external streaming device.

·
Registered
18,573 Posts
Or, you know, spend $50 on a Roku device and be done with it all. ARC makes very little sense unless your receiver is a mile away from the TV.

Nobody using a decent receiver and speakers should be using a external streaming device.
I'm a little confused about that statement. My receiver is about 4' away from the tv and I use an ATV4k for all of my streaming needs and a UHD/BD player for physical media. I much prefer the ATV4k over the internal apps. I haven't setup Atmos so maybe that's the basis of your comment. Not trying to cause an argument just curious as to why.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts