AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been debating for a while upgrading my Sony HW30ES projector, and believe I have the unit sold. So now I am looking towards what to replace it with. Quick rundown on my room is:

1) Light controlled and all black (open on one end to the rest of the house, however)

2) Short throw distance of about 10.5' onto a 92" screen

3) Exclusive use is for movies and TV

You can see the room here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...297034-chopin_guy-s-quasi-dedicated-room.html

I'm on the fence as the whether I should go with something like the new X550, or I have the opportunity to get a RS67U with only about 250 hours on it.

What might be more advantageous in might situation?

Appreciate the help and input...

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I've been debating for a while upgrading my Sony HW30ES projector, and believe I have the unit sold. So now I am looking towards what to replace it with. Quick rundown on my room is:

1) Light controlled and all black (open on one end to the rest of the house, however)

2) Short throw distance of about 10.5' onto a 92" screen

3) Exclusive use is for movies and TV

You can see the room here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...297034-chopin_guy-s-quasi-dedicated-room.html

I'm on the fence as the whether I should go with something like the new X550, or I have the opportunity to get a RS67U with only about 250 hours on it.

What might be more advantageous in might situation?

Appreciate the help and input...
Depends on the cost differential and your goals. If the older unit is a great deal and you don't really plan on 4K for at least a few years, then that route has a lot of appeal.

I will say as an owner of a JVC RS46, the new units are stunning. If you do plan on 4K in your near future I would take a very serious look at this current generation. They are fantastic.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depends on the cost differential and your goals. If the older unit is a great deal and you don't really plan on 4K for at least a few years, then that route has a lot of appeal.

I will say as an owner of a JVC RS46, the new units are stunning. If you do plan on 4K in your near future I would take a very serious look at this current generation. They are fantastic.
Price is a wash between the two really -- the X550 might actually wind up being a bit cheaper. Just the 550 being the 'entry' JVC versus the 67 being the previous generation top tier.

4k is appealing, but until it settles I won't be buying in. Standards and tech still has some way to come, as do available titles, players, etc...

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Your screen is pretty small by AVS standards (I mean no offense there :)), you don't really need the light output of the new generation. The RS67 should have quite a bit better contrast than the RS400 (X550).

3D is substantially better on the new generation, if that's a consideration.

The RS67 can use UHD, but will need an Integral to enable that functionality, and ideally you'd want to wait for a better player than the Samsung (either Panny or Oppo).

I'd bet, that excluding HDR, the RS67 would throw the better picture.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Your screen is pretty small by AVS standards (I mean no offense there :)), you don't really need the light output of the new generation. The RS67 should have quite a bit better contrast than the RS400 (X550).

The RS67 can use UHD, but will need an Integral to enable that functionality, and ideally you'd want to wait for a better player than the Samsung (either Panny or Oppo).

Does the RS67 support the same expanded color space that the RS400 does? I don't think it does. Also although adapters like the HDFury will allow for support for HDMI 2.0, I'm not sure comfortable I would be with that as a long term solution. Also e-shift on the current models is a pretty big step up and from all reports much sharper and better able to display UHD content.

So I think you're right and you would get better contrast and black level with the RS67. And like you said he wouldn't need the lumens of the RS400. But native UHD support, native HDMI 2.0, much better e-shift implementation, and 85% of the P3 color space are all pretty big pluses for the RS400. I guess I don't know how much the real world contrast/black level favors the RS67.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Haha -- thank you. Yes, my screen is rather small but this is virtue of the way I had to setup my room. This was the largest I could go -- well I could have probably done 96" inches, but that's splitting hairs. But lumens is definitely not an issue on my screen size and throw distance. I'll be putting it in low lamp mode, closing the iris all the way, and probably dialing back the brightness as well.

Currently on my HW30ES with about 290 hours, it's on ECO lamp, iris closed all the way, and brightness at 25...

I don't do any 3D viewing so that's not a concern for me. Pretty much a purist when it comes to watching movies.

Also agree with you on the player from, I wouldn't get anything until OPPO drops something. But then with the RS67 I would definitely need an Integral and the 67 then would not support HDR either.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does the RS67 support the same expanded color space that the RS400 does? I don't think it does. Also although adapters like the HDFury will allow for support for HDMI 2.0, I'm not sure comfortable I would be with that as a long term solution. Also e-shift on the current models is a pretty big step up and from all reports much sharper and better able to display UHD content.

So I think you're right and you would get better contrast and black level with the RS67. And like you said he wouldn't need the lumens of the RS400. But native UHD support, native HDMI 2.0, much better e-shift implementation, and 85% of the P3 color space are all pretty big pluses for the RS400. I guess I don't know how much the real world contrast/black level favors the RS67.
You are correct that the RS67 doesn't support HDR, but the HDFury would let me connect a UHD player to it. As I said, not as much of an issue. I mean, I'm still rocking a Denon 3808 AVR which I use as a pre/pro -- things has been flawless since I bought it. It just passed 1080 material straight through, and I use a Darbee as well.

The better e-Shift on the current generation is definitely something I like, and your pointing that out helps. Think either will be a big step up from my HW30...

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
With your screen size, I would think you could get noticeably more contrast with the RS67. This would be the biggest PQ difference/improvement...even more than the benefits you could get with UHD BD on the RS400...in my opinion, of course. With that said, your resale value will be much better with the RS400.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With your screen size, I would think you could get noticeably more contrast with the RS67. This would be the biggest PQ difference/improvement...even more than the benefits you could get with UHD BD on the RS400...in my opinion, of course. With that said, your resale value will be much better with the RS400.
Thanks David -- I agree. Unfortunately I just found out the seller of the RS67 just sold it to another party without any other notice. So I guess I'm stuck looking at whatever I can get otherwise -- unless I wait for something else to pop up.

Now I'm considering a previous generation 4910 against the X550, given this predicament...

·
Registered
7,004 Posts

Also the 3D is much - much better (the best I've seen from a non-DLP).

The RS500 offers all of the features of the RS600 and just about all of the performance at a lower price while the entry level RS400 offers lots of bang for the buck, but lack some of the features and black level performance of the higher end models. Below are the reviews we have published at Projector Reviews.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/jvc/jvc-dla-rs400u-home-theater-projector-review/

http://www.projectorreviews.com/jvc/jvc-dla-rs600u-x950r-home-theater-projector-review/

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Haha -- thank you. Yes, my screen is rather small but this is virtue of the way I had to setup my room. This was the largest I could go -- well I could have probably done 96" inches, but that's splitting hairs. But lumens is definitely not an issue on my screen size and throw distance. I'll be putting it in low lamp mode, closing the iris all the way, and probably dialing back the brightness as well.
Don't reduce the brightness, that reduces contrast and image quality. If you can't get the brightness you want with the iris and lamp mode, get a Neutral Density filter to reduce the brightness.

Reducing the brightness setting makes the projector use the panels to reduce the light output, meaning it displays white at something less than 100% of what the panels are capable of, but since it's doing it with the panels, black remains the same.

The RS67 has a filter for AdobeRGB, which would actually be a wider gamut than the RS400.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't reduce the brightness, that reduces contrast and image quality. If you can't get the brightness you want with the iris and lamp mode, get a Neutral Density filter to reduce the brightness.

Reducing the brightness setting makes the projector use the panels to reduce the light output, meaning it displays white at something less than 100% of what the panels are capable of, but since it's doing it with the panels, black remains the same.

The RS67 has a filter for AdobeRGB, which would actually be a wider gamut than the RS400.
Thanks man -- still learning, and I wasn't aware of that actually. Once I pull the trigger, I'll definitely seek setup and calibration input from the community here.

Unfortunately the RS67 was sold from under me without any notice -- so that option is off the table. There's a really lightly used RS57 (57 hours) on eBay and some other options I am looking at.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So it's now come down to the choice between a new X550 (RS400) for right around $3,200 -- or very lightly used (60 hours) RS57 with a HDFury included which I might be able to get for under $3k.

Given what's been stated here I'm leaning towards the new X550.

But still hunting to see what I can find...

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
Man... I wish JVC would streamline their model names. Hunting for a used one and keeping all the model numbers straight is a huge PITA in my opinion.

Good luck with your search.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
The rs57 seems to the overpriced at 3k. I would do some research in the rs400 thread....I have to imagine there are some previous 57 owners who switched to the 400.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Man... I wish JVC would streamline their model names. Hunting for a used one and keeping all the model numbers straight is a huge PITA in my opinion.

Good luck with your search.
Haha...I know what you mean. Now I have the current and previous generation model numbers memorized from all my searching...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The rs57 seems to the overpriced at 3k. I would do some research in the rs400 thread....I have to imagine there are some previous 57 owners who switched to the 400.
Interestingly, searching both '57' and 'RS57' in that thread turns up no results for me. Started reading through the first 5-6 pages and didn't see anything either unfortunately. Some references to comparisons with the 4910, but nothing on the 57...

·
Registered
29,971 Posts
Yep, if this is short term with intention of upgrading to UHD in the future, the RS400 will have better resale value. Also while the light output of the 400, does not mean that much to the OP'er, it probably will to the next buyer, because the vast majority of projector owner's use a much larger screen.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Does that mean the RS67 can take the encoded P3 color information on a UHD Blu Ray and process it?
A couple things:

First color is not encoded as P3 on UHD BD, it's encoded as Rec.2020.

Second, no, the 2014 and earlier models can't "natively" handle Rec.2020

However, you can create a custom Rec.2020 targetted CMS for the 2014 (maybe earlier?) models, and it should work. I believe Manni is doing this with his RS49/X500. The RS57/RS67 with their filters will cover more of the portion of Rec.2020 that is used (assumed to be roughly P3) than the RS49. The hitch is you will have to switch to this color profile manually, where as the HDMI 2.0a on the 2016 models will do that automatically.

You will of course need an HDFury Integral to overcome the HDCP 2.2 limitation and you'll need a UHD BD player capable of sending SDR+Rec.2020 in an HDMI 1.4 compatible format, like the Panasonic (as opposed to the Samsung).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts