AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am considering whether putting a little bit of money into my 2 channel system will have an appreciable difference.

Presently I have a Denon 3910, a Jolida 502 tube amp, and a set of Strata Minis. Recently I switched from 6550s to KT88s in the amp and was floored by the improvement, but I still question the fidelity of my 3910 - which I really like, but still question. I bought it as an upgrade for a 2910 that I moved into the bedroom, and chose that CDP because I really enjoy listening to my growing SACD collection.

At the moment, I'd like to constrain my changes to the CDP, as I am happy with the amp and the speakers, while realizing that they, too offer possiblities (but not my Minis!) for improvements.

I do not use the 3910 for video and have all that circuitry switched off, and I guess I could keep it for listening exclusively to SACD. I want to improve the quality of my CD listening experience, however, and am wondering if you had $1000 to spend on a CDP (I don't mind buying used) in my system

1. Would you?

2. What would it be?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
I think it takes a lot of guts to post this question on a forum where the only other active thread is called "The 'Official' All CD Players Sound the Same Thread" and has 825 posts.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Hey Schwing, nice system. Some possible alternatives to the 3910. Marantz last year introduced their new "moderately" priced SACD player the SA8003. It replaced their very highly regarded SA8001, which now can be had for good prices on the used market (or rebuilt). Also, your Denon 3910 is a top quality universal and mods love to work on it. The claims after modifications are higher resolution, more dynamic, three dimensional, more extension on the top end while losing the "digital glare", etc., etc.

Might be worth looking into. Good Listening!

·
Banned
2,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwingding /forum/post/15560612

1. Would you?

2. What would it be?

A:

1. No.

2. Room acoustic treatment (absorbers, diffusers, bass traps). With those, "higher resolution, more dynamic, three dimensional, more extension on the top end while losing the "digital glare", etc., etc." are for real and audible. Plus, read though some of the threads in this section of the forum.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhd /forum/post/15562101

A:

1. No.

2. Room acoustic treatment (absorbers, diffusers, bass traps). With those, "higher resolution, more dynamic, three dimensional, more extension on the top end while losing the "digital glare", etc., etc." are for real and audible. Plus, read though some of the threads in this section of the forum.

Thanks, and thanks to the other responders, too. My room has received just about every sound treatment, other than double thickness drywall, that AVSforum has to offer. I spent about a year treating the room with OC712, bass traps in the corners, etc. I also use the room for my HT system, which has been fully EQ'd using REW and a BFD for the subs. I do know a little about room treatments, and I TOTALLY agree that they would be a great investment, had I not already done so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts