AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HTPC is a shuttle G5 system I won form Microsoft about 5 years ago. It has been working great with Windows media center but I was thinking of getting into blu-ray. The pc has an intel Pentium 3.2 GHz, 1GB RAM and an NVIDIA 6600 Graphics card. Sound is onboard 5.1. I have read the numerous threads and admit a lot has changed since I began tinkering with this system 5 years ago. Problem is the Shuttle PC seems to have a proprietary MB and is a very small form factor. I cannot even find on shuttles site my ability to upgrade the processor or graphics. I really like the style of the case but does anyone have experience with this system and upgrade potential? I figure I would at least need a new graphics card but do you think this alone will do it?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Chuck it.. its AGP if you have a 6600... You wont find a video card that will be able to handle HD video and the CPU is not a dual core - only hyperthreading which doesnt help enough...

If cost is a factor then use THAT machine (shuttle) as a server and get a nettop like the ASROCK 330 ION with the Bluray drive..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiliz /forum/post/16929190

My HTPC is a shuttle G5 system I won form Microsoft about 5 years ago. It has been working great with Windows media center but I was thinking of getting into blu-ray. The pc has an intel Pentium 3.2 GHz, 1GB RAM and an NVIDIA 6600 Graphics card. Sound is onboard 5.1. I have read the numerous threads and admit a lot has changed since I began tinkering with this system 5 years ago. Problem is the Shuttle PC seems to have a proprietary MB and is a very small form factor. I cannot even find on shuttles site my ability to upgrade the processor or graphics. I really like the style of the case but does anyone have experience with this system and upgrade potential? I figure I would at least need a new graphics card but do you think this alone will do it?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just downloaded the manual. It is not an AGP card but PCI Express Graphics card. The only other expansion option is a PCI slot I was thinking of using if I needed to upgrade the sound. It sounds like the CPU may be limiting though?

Specs: CPU support Intel Prescott/ Tejas in LGA 775 pin, 533/800 FSB

ACL658 6 channel onboard audio (AC97)

up to 4GB 184 pin SDRAM

PCI Express x16 and SDVO Interface

Form factor 254mm x 185mm ATX

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiliz /forum/post/16931741

I just downloaded the manual. It is not an AGP card but PCI Express Graphics card. The only other expansion option is a PCI slot I was thinking of using if I needed to upgrade the sound. It sounds like the CPU may be limiting though?

Specs: CPU support Intel Prescott/ Tejas in LGA 775 pin, 533/800 FSB

ACL658 6 channel onboard audio (AC97)

up to 4GB 184 pin SDRAM

PCI Express x16 and SDVO Interface

Not really, get a ATI HD series card and it can offload all HD decoding from the CPU. I have P4 2.4 GHz and 3.0 GHz with AGP HD2400 cards and they handle Blu-Ray just fine. But you need the right software and OS for that.

Vista or Win7 will allow the software player to use the video card for HD decoding. With XP you will have a problem getting HA to work. If you have XP MCE it might work. Just spend $20-$25 on a HD4350 series card and try BD playback. It should work.

Sound card doesn't need to be upgraded either. The onboard is good enough. You would need to get a very high end sound card to even hear a minor difference in sound.

Save the money for your next build (whenever it is). Right now, with your current system, $25 will get you BD playback.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went out to buy a new video card and blu-ray drive to try the upgrade. All the video cards I looked at such as ATI HD 4550 and NVIDIA 9500 require >350W power supplies. Do all these new cards require that much power? My case has a 250W. How do you build a small, quiet, efficient HTPC these days? Should I follow the power requirements or do you think they are overestimated? I never thought the power supply would be the limiting factor in my upgrade.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Be careful replacing the mobo
Quote:

This looks wrong or it is a special sized mobo 254x185mm = 10 in x 7.25 in

Micro ATX is 244x244mm (9.6 in x 9.6 in) max

ATX is 305x244 mm (12 in x 9.6 in)

Can you provide a link to the specs?

BB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts