AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, first time post, have a bit of a decision to make.

Moved from an apartment where I LCR set up (great condition Infinity Kappa 8.1 and an Infinity Kappa center (not as great of condition)) to a home where I am installing a full 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos system.

I chose Kef in wall speakers for all of the other channels (CI160Q in different shapes). Am driving the system with a Denon AVR6400H. In my old setup I used the infinity speakers for both music and movies, but now will be only movies as this is really a dedicated home theater.

Am trying to decide if I should sell the Infinity Kappa set to get KEF LCR that will timbre match all of the surround channels. KEF claims their entire line is timbre matched so I can choose anything, was probably going to do Q950 or R500 floorstanding L/R and Q650c or R200C.

The cost to move to the KEF is not terrible, assuming I can sell my existing Infinity set at a reasonable price.

I have read great things about the KEF and that in particular the UniQ system is very good for movies for super clear dialog, but I would hate to "upgrade" only to get worse net sound quality, given the infinity are quite good.

Other considerations:
I like to listen quite loud and it is not a small room (L-shaped room so a bit awkward, but dimensions of approximately 24x20 with 7.5 foot ceilings). The infinity 8.1s aren't the easiest speakers to drive, while the Kef q950 have a pretty high sensitivity of 91db (2.83V/1m).

I have a pretty large Hsu VTF-3 MK5 Sub, so the low end is fairly well handled.

Am putting in some acoustic treatments, maybe not quite as many as I should be but as much as I can within WAF parameters.

Finally, the other option would be to forget floorstanding altogether and go with in-wall, but the high end KEF inwall for LCR would be quite a bit more expensive, and ofc has all the tradeoffs that come with in-wall speakers vs cheaper floorstanding.

Would love any thoughts! I don't really know how to compare vintage speakers with new ones in terms of quality and dynamic response with new movies with Atmos soundtracks.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
if it ain't broke, why fix it? timbre matching for the surrounds is not as important as the LCR. And many around here will argue the importance of timbre matching the LCR as well. I had some kappa 9's a while back. I have never heard the KEF's, but they are highly regarded. nice problem to have! good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if it ain't broke, why fix it? timbre matching for the surrounds is not as important as the LCR. And many around here will argue the importance of timbre matching the LCR as well. I had some kappa 9's a while back. I have never heard the KEF's, but they are highly regarded. nice problem to have! good luck.
Thanks Smithsabom, that's kind of where I am leaning... I am actually less worried about Timbre matching as I am just overall sound quality and clarity. This is going to sound silly but I wonder what kind of "technology" / refinements these newer speakers have particularly for getting really clear dialog. Have never had any other serious speakers so not much to compare against. I should probably stop overthinking it and enjoy the setup!

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
I am actually less worried about Timbre matching as I am just overall sound quality and clarity. This is going to sound silly but I wonder what kind of "technology" / refinements these newer speakers have particularly for getting really clear dialog. Have never had any other serious speakers so not much to compare against. I should probably stop overthinking it and enjoy the setup!
You can always buy a pair of their bookshelf speakers from a place who has a nice return policy, and test their sonic sound signature -- if you like them, then keep or exchange them for a bigger set -- if you do not prefer them over the Kappa, then send them back

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
Thanks Smithsabom, that's kind of where I am leaning... I am actually less worried about Timbre matching as I am just overall sound quality and clarity. This is going to sound silly but I wonder what kind of "technology" / refinements these newer speakers have particularly for getting really clear dialog. Have never had any other serious speakers so not much to compare against. I should probably stop overthinking it and enjoy the setup!
The only way you'll know is by listening to them. If you have a Best buy in your area, stop in and give them a listen. Kef image very well, put out a wide soundstage with very good detail and clarity. The off axis response is very good and could be a plus if you have listeners sitting off center. The Kefs are good speakers, but whether you'll prefer them over your current speakers is anybody's guess.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
AS much as technology is changing, much of it is still the same. I had some 40 yr old + JBLs that still sounded great. if a speaker sounds good to your ears, what else is there?

·
Registered
22,747 Posts
Would love any thoughts! I don't really know how to compare vintage speakers with new ones in terms of quality and dynamic response with new movies with Atmos soundtracks.
I've compared 1980s B&W bookshelves to modern ones and the older speakers were every bit as enjoyable as the newer ones from Martin Logan and Q Acoustics.

There is a reason Infinity Kappas have kept their value looking at the very high prices they seem to command in the used market.

If you DON'T like them, by all meas sell them, but if you do like them for music they will be perfectly fine for Home Theater.

Is the center functionally damaged or just cosmetically damaged?

Save your money for quality subs from HSU, Rhythmik or PSA, just to name a few.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Zero experience with KEF however I presently run the kappa 8.1’s

For me timber matching is kinda over stated for all speakers in surround sound. I think as others mentioned the front speakers are most important. That being said I did buy 2 sets of 8.1’s, 2 sets of 5.1’s and have 3 kappa video so I can do 2 full systems. Sometimes these speakers can be purchased so cheap I can’t pass up a deal!

That being said the old kappas are awesome speakers, I feel you have to spend thousands to replace those speakers with a similar SQ speaker. If I was you I would get a good separate amp to power them. If you have always used your Denon receiver to power them you aren’t doing them justice. Even a $400 ish used amp like I presently use (Adcom Gfa-5500) is a big improvement or a parasound hca-1500 (which I also used and sounds much better vs the Adcom) again is a BIG improvement. Ifyou can bi amp them it’s another good step up in SQ especially in the low end response. I wouldn’t say they are hard to drive (the kappa 9 and 9.1 take that honor) it’s just they aren’t efficient. I am saving up to feed mine D-sonic power.....

Also depending on what you want to do and how much room you have you can look for a pair of kappa 5.1’s and use those as center speakers.

I hope to get a set of 9.1’s someday or something from their IRS line.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts