AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a long time reader, but this is my first post, as all the reading has given me the itch to upgrade, but I'm not sure where to start. I've posted a couple of photos of my "ok" system here. Essentially here is the package:

3 B&W M1 speakers (RLC)

2 Orb audio mod1x (surround)

Klipsch SW-350 sub

Yamaha A-820 AVR

I have already ordered an SVS PB-2000 sub that arrives Monday, but I want to start upgrading the speakers. I originally purchased the M1s bc they were wall mountable and I was trying to meet the wife half-way. I don't hate how they sound, but I'm wondering if I can replace the center, and add a paired LR while still using the M1s as height or "presence" speakers (as yamaha calls them) This system is in our family room, so we use it for home theater and lots of music. (Rock to Bach)

Here is what I've narrowed it down to:

1. Aperion Audio Intimus 5B RL and Intimus 5C (center)

2. B&W 686 (RL) and HTM 62 (Center)

Price range is approx $1000 for the 3 speakers.

Will adding these do much or am I just wasting money?

Thanks everyone!

2014-02-2806.05.42.jpg 1918k .jpg file
2014-02-2806.05.47.jpg 2317k .jpg file

Attachments

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
If you don't know where to start, then it doesn't matter. Upgrading for the sake of upgrading is not a sensible path. You need to have an idea of what you don't like about the system.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
I would second replacing M1 with larger speakers.. If you want a fuller sound from your stereo speakers, do it.

I've got speakers similar in size to the M1, they're fine as a PC system, bedroom, small bookshelf, extra effects, surrounds/backs if you don't have much room. But I wouldn't use them for main speakers.

Also you have a nice amp and it's too good for those speakers. I was using B&W 600 series with a Yamaha 67x which is a couple of levels below your Yamaha.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbycees  /t/1520267/upgrade-itis#post_24421016

I've been a long time reader, but this is my first post, as all the reading has given me the itch to upgrade, but I'm not sure where to start. I've posted a couple of photos of my "ok" system here. Essentially here is the package:

3 B&W M1 speakers (RLC)

2 Orb audio mod1x (surround)

Klipsch SW-350 sub

Yamaha A-820 AVR

I have already ordered an SVS PB-2000 sub that arrives Monday, but I want to start upgrading the speakers.

As you know there are good reasons to be able to run your RCL speakers down to no higher than 80 Hz. 4" speakers may be tricked up to respond that low but due their size responing cleanly is a whole 'nuther thing. If you've got the resources and desir this is not a waste.

If you like the B&W sound then sticking with it can be good. If you don't changing brands wouldn't hurt as long as you change LCR together.

That said the Aperion units look a little better designed to me on paper.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
- thanks for the replies. I think I'm leaning toward the aperions but I'm going to wait and listen with the pb-2000 when it gets here Monday. I might need full towers. We watched frozen tonight and while not a tremendous movie to exploit speaker faults I could tell that I have a big gaps everywhere due to the size if the m1s.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts