AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Hoping people have some good opinions about these 3 projectors...

I currently own an LP350. I bought it from my old company that ceased operations. It's brand new with only about 5 hours of lamp time. I am considering upgrading it to either an LP530 or an LS110. Here are the reasons I'm considering this... please let me know if I'm on the right track or way off base...

I will be using an HTPC with ATI 8500 AIW DV.

1) Main reason to goto LP530 or LS110 is the fact that both incorporate the Farouja DCDi processing.

2) The LS110 has HDCP for decrypting future copyright HD material

3) LP530 is native 1024 x 768 as apposed to the 846 x 600 of the LS110

I'm thinking of selling the LP350, I figure I'll get at least $2,000 - $2,500 for it and pay the difference for an LP530 or LS110. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

Garrick

· Registered
4,321 Posts
Garrick,

Have you tried your LP350? It too has DCDi and 1024x768 res.

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You might be right... I do notice that there is some sort of deinterlacing performed, but I don't think it's Faroudja's DCDi processor. Check the following link...

Projectors incorporating Faroudja's DCDi

I also assumed that Faroudja's DCDi incorporated 3/2 pulldown but it seems that this is not always necessarily true. Apparently, 3/2 pulldown by Faroudja requires a separate additional circuit to perform this. This leads to my next question... Which Infocus projectors incorporate DCDi with 3/2 pulldown?

Garrick

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the response ckaudio,

would you trade off 3/2 pulldown (LS110) with 1024 x 768 pixels (LP530)? or would you just rely on HTPC to process 3/2 pulldown? thanks.

Garrick

· Registered
625 Posts
LP350 does 3/2 pull down also in Video Mode.

uses the SAME bulb as the LP530 -> 270-Watt SHP [different housing]

and in Computer Mode is 1300 lumens with a 500:1 CR

Big difference from the LP350 / LP530 is the ADD ON module

which really only adds COMPONENT input.

But you say you are going to use a HTPC w/ATI8500

So U won't NEED the COMPONENT.

I suggest you first hook up the HTPC->DVI->LP350

U can get a cheap DVI-D to P&D (EVC) digital cables Ram Electronics

More info from Infocus LP350 / LP340 FAQ

· Registered
41 Posts
Garrick,

Go to your dealer at demo the LS110 against the LP530. That's what I did. I chose the LS110, simply because I felt it had the best picture.

You could even bring your LP350, then you will know if the upgrade i worth your money.

Jens Dahl

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your helpful responses. I don't have my HTPC set-up yet but it will be ready soon.

I may even bring the HTPC + Standalone DVD player into the showroom and test all 3 projectors, LP350, LP530 and LS110 to see how the DCDi and 3/2 pulldown performs.

As it stands, I'm using a Dell laptop with DVD player and Rage Mobility chip connected directly to the LP350 (HD15). Deinterlacing is great but the 3/2 pulldown (screen pans, moving objects etc) jitters and are not very smooth. The stand alone DVD player produces similar results but like many have seen, going to an HTPC shows more detail thus being able to see the MPEG compression artifacts more clearly. Superbit - Fifth Element looked stunning!

I hear that the ATI 8500 AIW has excellent video processing, but I guess my idea is to invest in a projector that has the built-in processing rather than replying on each individual input device. Thanks again.

Garrick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.