AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the Optoma HD20 several years ago as my first projector and have loved every minute of it. I currently project directly onto the living room wall for an image that is ~12 ft diagonal. I know this is not the optimal set up, but at night the image is wonderful. I have gone through 2 bulbs so far and the third one is about to go out. I was about to order another $250 bulb when I took a quick peak on Amazon and noticed there are a lot of new projectors out there in the $700-$900 range and wasn't sure if I would be better off going with a whole new projector all together.

My research has led me to the Optoma HD26, HD25-LV and the BenQ W1070. I doubt I will ever use the projector for 3D viewing. Is the HD20 comparable at all to the newer projectors enough to justify the $250 bulb or does it make more sense to upgrade instead of spending hte money on an older projector?

Thanks for your help, I look forward to being part of the AVS community!!

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I have a low hours HD20 mounted in my theater. I recently have added a BenQ HC-1200 ( released a few months ago) to the mix. Projector People has a review of the HC1200 posted.

The HD20 holds up very well. The HC1200 is brighter with better contrast and sharp as a tack. BUT these improvements are more subtle that dramatic. A very casual observer might not notice the difference but an experienced HT user would. I am glad I did "upgrade" but I still use my HD20 for DTV viewing. HC1200 is for BD.

I bought the Optoma HD20 several years ago as my first projector and have loved every minute of it. I currently project directly onto the living room wall for an image that is ~12 ft diagonal. I know this is not the optimal set up, but at night the image is wonderful. I have gone through 2 bulbs so far and the third one is about to go out. I was about to order another $250 bulb when I took a quick peak on Amazon and noticed there are a lot of new projectors out there in the $700-$900 range and wasn't sure if I would be better off going with a whole new projector all together.

My research has led me to the Optoma HD26, HD25-LV and the BenQ W1070. I doubt I will ever use the projector for 3D viewing. Is the HD20 comparable at all to the newer projectors enough to justify the $250 bulb or does it make more sense to upgrade instead of spending hte money on an older projector?

Thanks for your help, I look forward to being part of the AVS community!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts