AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a heck of a time making a decision on what to do. I've been a loyal Tag customer and have early serial numbered pre/pro, amp, cd, tuner units that make up most of my system. I've always loved the sound of my gear, but as with everything, updates and new features make other units very attractive.

Tag does have a good upgrade policy "IF" you live in the UK. Since the first hardware upgrades were announced, I've wanted to take advantage of this, but it's always been so time and cost prohibitive. The new people in the US office seem like they are more able to accommodate the US market by having loaners available to cover the 3-4 week turnaround of having my unit shipped overseas, but still the cost to bring my AV32R-EX up to the current dual shark configuration is about $3,500 including shipping.

As I said, I truly love my Tag gear, and would hate to part with is. It looks like people are listing on eBay for about $2,000 for a used Av32r, so for that, plus the $3,500 upgrade costs, should I look for a used Lexicon MC-8 or possibly even a divorce-sale MC-12 to replace the Tag ? I'd probably want to match the amps at some point too. I tend to feel that pre/pros and amps from the same company probably fit together best.

Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
"It looks like people are listing on eBay for about $2,000 for a used Av32r, so for that, plus the $3,500 upgrade costs, should I look for a used Lexicon MC-8 or possibly even a divorce-sale MC-12 to replace the Tag ?"

For that price you could get a new MC-8 *easily* or you could get a used MC-12 for that too.

Shawn

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I actually have an MC-1, and a TAG. Neither do justice to a second zone, so I want to upgrade. Decisions, decisions, decisions:eek:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Greg,

hard decision indeed. While I personally favorize the Lexicon units, I admit that the TagMclarens are also VERY fine and high-end products. If there were no Lexicon, probably my second best choice to purchase a high-end AV Pre-amp. Well, as you may know, TMA has just announced their next two upgrades: Dolby Pro Logic IIx and the so called height channel for *over your head surround*. While the height channel is to me personally more a gimmick, the introduction of Pro Logic IIx could be extremely interesting.

It might give you the possibilities which Lexicons Logic7 on digital 5.1/6.1 sources has to offer, of course this has to be proven yet. So if you really love you Tag gear and if you can live about 8 weeks without it, you should probably stay with your AV32R. If this is something that bothers you, you probably go best with Lexicon.

regards, Holger

·
Premium Member
7,370 Posts
The other issue I'd consider is the recent announcement from TAG stating that they were considering exiting that part of the business. If they do, the resale value of your equipment will get lower at an accelerated rate. Further, they will ultimately stop offering upgrades to it if/when they exit the business.

Please note I have no axe to grind, like both TAG and Lex products (though not Lex for 2 channel music), own neither, etc.

TM

·
Registered
116 Posts
WSR has a blurb on Tag's "reevaluation" in the market in its October issue.

"It is for this reason that TAG McLaren Audio has ceased development of new products and will forwith commence a full strategic review of its continued participation in the audio and visual markets."

Sounds like a soliloquy to me.

KidDoc

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I am not familiar with Tag, and havne't heard the new 12, but am dying too, but Lexicon doesn't make their own amplifiers, and in the past used a version of Brystons that was out before their pre-amp, and it didn't come accross that matching or design of one was even related to the other, so if you do go Lexicon, there really isn't a matching amp so to speak, but the Brystons are a really nice piece.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Addicted Help!!
I am not familiar with Tag, and havne't heard the new 12, but am dying too, but Lexicon doesn't make their own amplifiers, and in the past used a version of Brystons that was out before their pre-amp, and it didn't come accross that matching or design of one was even related to the other, so if you do go Lexicon, there really isn't a matching amp so to speak, but the Brystons are a really nice piece.
The rebadged Brystons are the old Lexicon amps. The current amps are of Lexicon design and are manufactured for them. That being said, what does it matter?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I spoke to a TAG rep at CEDIA. He said the early press articles were not accurate in how they portrayed what TAG was up to. That they were never going to discontinue their primary HT products.

Instead they had to give advance notice of their intent to lay off workers in accordance with European labor union and governmental rules. These notices were misconstrued by some of the press.

This guy was adamant that TAG was not only remaining in the HT electronics market, but that they were refocusing on that market, diverting resources that were going to other products, to electronics as their main strategic product line.

He said that these misconceptions were rampant at CEDIA and most of the work going on in their booth was in reassuring their dealers and the press that they were in it in for the long haul. He then proceeded to show me a number of their products and talk about the future upgrades they were planning for them.

Now, unfortunately for any TAG fans, I don't know their equipment and wasn't taking notes, so I don't remember any specifics as to what gear was getting which upgrades. Sorry. But I can say that they seemed very sincere about getting the message out that they were in business and planning to stay in business.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Let me add that TAG is now saying that the first announcements that they were ceasing development of new products, meant that they had decided against entering new product lines. And it did not mean that they were ceasing new models or upgrades on existing product lines.

Although they did say that there would be a slow down in developing new speakers.

At least that was the story at CEDIA.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am in the same dilemma as you. I am very pleased with my Avr32 and I would hate to let it go, but the upgrade alone costs as much as a brand new Rotel 1098.... on the other hand the new features are very interesting.....

Tough choice....

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom_Bombadil
Let me add that TAG is now saying that the first announcements that they were ceasing development of new products, meant that they had decided against entering new product lines. And it did not mean that they were ceasing new models or upgrades on existing product lines.

Although they did say that there would be a slow down in developing new speakers.

At least that was the story at CEDIA.
All very confusing!

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
The latest geatest Tag pre/pro upgraded version was recently compared to a Parasound c1/c2 by Widescreen Review, a rag that pulls no punches and the Halo pre/pro was preffered in the dac section as well as the analog bypass.

At around 3k street for a c2, you may want to consider this unit, I did and it sounds fantastic.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
All of my sources are digital, except the tuner. I want to be able to send a digital input, through a DAC, out to a second zone regardess of what is happening in the main zone.

So if I am watching a movie, I can route MP3s to a second zone.

If I am listening to a CD, I'd like to route the CD, or another 2 channel digital source to zone 2.

I need full function processing on zone 1, but only 2 channel on zone 2.

Same with analog, but that really isn't an issue with any of these pre/pros.

My understanding is that this limits me to MC12, MC8, or upgrading the TAG to dual processor.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Remember, Tag has room correction available now.

Probably, that has a more positive effect than any format,

useful to more people.

Jim

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
"I need full function processing on zone 1, but only 2 channel on zone 2."

Keep in mind on the MC-8/12 if you are passing it a bitstream (non PCM... IOW DD/DTS) signal you can only output that as a two channel signal oua second zone if the main zone is also on the same input.

In other words you can't be listening to a 2 channel CD in the main zone and send it a DD signal from DVD in the record zone and have it decode it, downmix the 5.1 track to 2 channels, then finally convert to analog and spit it out the record zone. You would need to have the DVD input selected in the main zone to accomplish this. Best way to work around this is just to setup the DVD player such that for the other zones it uses the analog outputs from the DVD since the player is downmixing the signal anyway. When you select DVD in the main zone it would still use the digital input for full abilities where you are.

You can send the MC-8/12 two (or three on the MC-12) PCM signals and each will have its own D/As for output in the zones. And you can do DD/DTS in the main zone while doing PCM to the other zones.

Shawn

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.