AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after reading all of the threads from around 2-5 months ago, I decided to to take the big plunge of installing a larger HDD into my RCA UTV PVR. I can say that I would have NEVER known to do this if it was not for this message board....so THANKS!!!:eek:

I installed the Western Digital 120gig BB (7200/2 meg buffer). Got it from Best Buy $299 with a $150 mail in Best Buy rebate. ($149 cost)

How flippin' simple was this upgrade??!?!?! Oh my god.

All I did was open the case, yank the old drive out, install the new one, plugged the UTV back in, powered up, was prompted for a new upgrade, downloaded the 3.5 OS (104 mins) and I was back up and running in like 2 hours. (most of the time was the 104 mins for the download.)

Being a major confuser...errr computer geek, it made installing the drive seem like I just walked to dog or something.
  • 5 mins to install the new HDD

104 mins to download the new OS over a 56K

3 hours to get my local channels back.

All in all, it was just so simple to go from 25 hours of recording time to the OS reporting 105+ hours of record time(not tested yet) for $149.

I did notice that after the upgrade, skipping forward was MUCH quicker along with viewing in Guide mode and scrolling was also MUCH quicker.

I also read some reports of the 7200 rpm drive being much louder. I think I must have had a problem with the original Seagate 40 gig cuz that was way LOUD. THis new 120 gigger is WAY quieter and I do not even hear it seeking. (Although I have a toddler running around and he is Mr. Loud):D

·
Registered
592 Posts
Did you try to zero out the original drive yet? Just curious since people have reported problems some of the time, unless they remove all power for several minutes prior to trying it. -TJ

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I didn't try it.....yet I have a large home network with a total of 475 gigs so 40 gigs doesn't tickle my fancy :p

I may try to get some dos emulator that can do low-level formatting and try that someday when I get bored lol

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did the upgrade over the weekend as well, also using the WD1200BB.

As far as unlocking the old drive, I was successful using the "unpug for an hour" method that's been previously mentioned. Basically, after verifying the upgrade was successful, I did the following:

- unplugged everything from the UTV box

- let it sit for an hour

- left all cables disconnected

- pulled "new" 120G drive

- attached IDE connector to old drive

- attached power connector from old PC power supply to old drive

- powered up old PC supply, then the UTV

- waited 3-4 minutes, then pulled the IDE cable from the drive.

- reassembled UTV with new drive and let old drive sit for over an hour

Note that I could still hear the old drive spinning after an hour, but it seems to have worked as I was able to then fdisk the old drive in my linux box.

I'm guessing this method would still work if you used the UTV's drive power, but it was easier using an old PC supply as you can then close the box back up.

Thanks to everyone on this forum that provided all the details on upgrading and unlocking the old drive. I highly recommend it to those that haven't upgraded yet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Thanks to everyone on this forum that provided all the details on upgrading and unlocking the old drive. I highly recommend it to those that haven't upgraded yet. [/b]
I second this statement!! :)

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
has anyone tried using winnt/win2k to delete the partitions on the drive?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have 2 UTV units 1 with the WD1200BB drive and one stock. After running with the upgraded unit for about 2 months finally got around to trying to wipe the drive again as "MDC" described and others have posted for directions. Though I found that pulling all connections is NOT necessary, I only pulled the powercord (for about 15 mins) You do have to be patient and wait the hour or so for the drive to clear.

Previously I had tried to wipe the drive through normal means, (as mentioned in other posts here) FDISK/Partition Magic/DELPART and other DOS and OS(Windows/BSD/LINUX/SUN) Harddrive partitioning software that I had and all would not wipe the drive because of the security password used by the UTV receiver, most software will tell you there is "No Disk present" even though the motherboard detects it.

I did try the drive on a dedicated HD Copying system that allows you to enter passwords to unlock the drive, I tried a couple passwords then had to get back to work..

After wiping the drive (using the UTV Receiver it came out off) I put the Seagate ACE drive in my Intel P4B 1.5ghz system running XP. I tried this before with this system the motherboard detected the drive, then the OS started up quickly(previously it hang when I tried this), when XP Started, after a couple seconds it displayed that it found the drive and quickly asked how it shoudl setup a partition on it.. I then copied over some data to it, and it is currently in use.

I thank RCA & Microsoft for making a unit easy to upgrade and Thank you to everyone at AVS Forum for their work.

If someone would like to sell their RCA UTV let me know..

Thank you.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I did my upgrade a couple of months ago. I would like to use the old hardrive in my computer now. Do I risk losing my 90 hours of programing on my 120g drive that is in the utv now by using the 1 hour unplug method? My wife and I would be mortified to lose 30 hours of friends and a bunch of movies we havent seen yet.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Well, when I did the "noobie" trick a few months back, I did not lose anything on my 100gig upgraded drive. I use the 45 gigger in my pc and it works great.

·
Registered
261 Posts
As soon as my warranty is up (7/18), in goes the 120GB drive (already have it). By then, I think we will be way into rerun season and maybe we will have caught up with all of the season finallies :). I don't know if I can wait that long, though.

Keith

·
Registered
441 Posts
well, after getting a drive from outpost many months ago and having it not upgrade, i've been afraid to try again

but after reading all these threads, i decided to pick a drive from a place that mitsubishi posted about (thanks!!), and it arrived yesterday

i installed it in a few minutes, downloaded the software overnight, and have 105 hours free now!

the software actually timed out once, right before i went to bed

but everything works great. very happy :)

I think I'm going to leave my utv out of my tv cabinet now, since it's pretty hot in there already with a vcr/dvd player/audio receiver

Conroy

·
Registered
261 Posts
What kind of fans are in these units (Sony and RCA)? Right now, I have a case fan on the side helping with moving hot air away from my receive and PVR. I know one person put in a couple of fans in his unit, but I am just hoping to upgrade it with maybe a good quiet case fan, like a Pabst.

Keith

·
Registered
391 Posts
I just upgraded to 120gig wd drive that Circuit City had on sale the other week with the $150 rebate. It was really easy to install and I followed mdc's steps to reuse the 40 gig drive that I replaced. This upgrade was much easier than when I did it for my replay tv and think just about anyone could do it. Just wanted to thank you guys for all the advice I have gotten here. I refer to avsforums all the time and have found so many answers here.

Thanks,

Rare

·
Registered
2 Posts
I upgraded my HDD yesterday, everything seemed to go well but rewinding and recording no longer works. Keeps asking me to subscribe again. Did I miss something?

·
Registered
391 Posts
SteveK2,

I was running 3.5 on my sony utv. I had ver 3.5 on both my 40gig (original drive) and on my 120 wd (upgrade drive.) All I did was follow mdc''s steps:

- unplugged everything from the UTV box

- let it sit for an hour

- left all cables disconnected

- pulled "new" 120G drive

- attached IDE connector to old drive

- attached power connector from old PC power supply to old drive

- powered up old PC supply, then the UTV

- Waited 3-4 minutes, then pulled the IDE cable from the drive.

- reassembled UTV with new drive and let old drive sit for over an hour

The only thing I did different was to use the power from the utv instead of a computer. After I did these steps I was able to fdisk and reformat the old drive. Good luck :)

Rare

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.