AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for all the audiophiles here (which is I guess everybody
)

I have an old set of speakers from the early-mid 90s still in like new condition:
Fronts: Paradigm Monitor Series, Esprit model
Rears: Paradigm Performance Series, Titan model
Center: Infinity (not sure which model)

Questions:

-Are these speakers decent by todays standards (for a 5.1 setup for mainly TV and movie use)?

-Is performance series better than Monitor series? I know I will probably need a new set of speakers but if I could save some money I would like to. I was thinking about keeping the Titans and getting a new set of fronts, sub and centre. Would this be a good idea? Or maybe keep the fronts and get some new rears with new sub and center?

Basically I don't know much about audio and only have about $1000 to spend on audio and hopefully able to salvage some of what I already have.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
From experience its better to have them from the same brand and model line but if

it sounds ok to you then thats all that maters also there are some great deals used.

·
Registered
554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uddinf /forum/post/14201358

-Are these speakers decent by todays standards (for a 5.1 setup for mainly TV and movie use)?

-Is performance series better than Monitor series? I know I will probably need a new set of speakers but if I could save some money I would like to. I was thinking about keeping the Titans and getting a new set of fronts, sub and centre. Would this be a good idea? Or maybe keep the fronts and get some new rears with new sub and center?

Basically I don't know much about audio and only have about $1000 to spend on audio and hopefully able to salvage some of what I already have.

Thanks for your help

Those are good speakers and if they are in good shape they're probably pretty comparable to today's standards (whatever that means
). Seriously, in your case, the only way to know is to audition some new speakers in your house on your gear and then decide if you notice enough improvement to warrant the purchase. You should be able to find a retailer that will let you return the speakers if you don't like them (many internet direct (ID) companies will do that but you'll pay shipping, which IMO, is no big deal).

·
Registered
1,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uddinf /forum/post/14201358

Or maybe keep the fronts and get some new rears with new sub and center?

Thanks for your help

Keep the fronts and rears. Get a Monitor cc-290 center and sub from SVS or HSU and you'll be good for awhile.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts