AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have an Onkyo TX-SR605, 7.1 90watts per channel. My friend says I should upgrade to a higher watt Onkyo like the 805 or 807. I am using my receiver for blu ray with my Oppo BDP83 and Pioneer BDP-51fd. My current set up sounds good to me but my friend says the higher wattage would help to drive the speakers and bring out more overall audio enjoyment. I have 5 older Jensen tower speakers and a Sony subwoofer. Should I upgrade my receiver? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
If you like how it sounds then leave it alone. You'll get more sound quality out of new speakers than you ever will from changing out the electronics. I'd hazzard a guess that you'll never be able to tell the difference unless you play your sounds at very high levels.

More power does not bring out more detail in the audio. Unless you are clipping your amp in an attempt to get higher volume you won't notice anything. Your friend's knowledge is an old wife's tale. All amps/receivers sound the same until one of them start distorting the sound.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that's what I thought. I like the way it sounds now. Think I'll look into upgrading my old Jensen floor standing speakers.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by levy07 /forum/post/18307926

Yeah that's what I thought. I like the way it sounds now. Think I'll look into upgrading my old Jensen floor standing speakers.

When you start looking at speakers take into account how efficient they are. Look for a speaker that has at least 90db efficiency and 8ohms or you might well be looking for more power to satisfy a power hungry speaker.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I listen to the volume around 60-63. Would that be considered a higher listening level? Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by levy07 /forum/post/18309189

I listen to the volume around 60-63. Would that be considered a higher listening level? Thanks.

Not necessarily. If you want you can boost the output in the 605's speaker settings, but it doesn't really change anything. You'll just be hearing the same thing at a lower volume number. Boosting the output settings is really more useful for tweaking the volume levels on surround speakers. You can also set the volume level that is the default level every time you turn the 605 on (in your case, maybe 55?). That way you don't have to adjust it too much to get to your normal listening level.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts