AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 720p projector/stewart screen (about 120" diagonal) as well as an old mitsubishi TV that just died . This tv sits in the entertainment center. We can replace it with a 40" plasma or tear that entertainment center & have a bigger TV(1080p) on the wall. The reason we were thinking of having a bigger TV is to watch regular tv without making the room dark which is what we have to do when we watch movies/rv with the projector. Would a 40" 16x9 tv be too small for that room? If we go with the small TV, we can use the extra money to upgrade the 720 to a 1080 projector. I do not want to do both. Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
It's hard to say if 40" is too small without telling us how far away you will view the tv.

Off the cuff, I'd say get the 40" and upgrade your PJ.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Our viewing distance varies from 11-13 feet from the entertainment center.Right now we have the infocus 7205.It is a 720p projector with no HDMI connections. We use a switch to convert DVI to HDMI now. Our budget is about $5000.I have no idea of what 1080p projectors are available now & how the quality with a blue ray will improve etc . Thanks for any help

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrajku /forum/post/15446816

Our viewing distance varies from 11-13 feet from the entertainment center.Right now we have the infocus 7205.It is a 720p projector with no HDMI connections. We use a switch to convert DVI to HDMI now. Our budget is about $5000.I have no idea of what 1080p projectors are available now & how the quality with a blue ray will improve etc . Thanks for any help

With a $5,000 budget you could get a 50" flat panel and a Epson 6500UB. If you are wanting to stay with DLP you could look at the BenQ W5000. Not sure that it would be bright enough for you.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. We can only fit a 42" flat panel (without tearing down the entertainment center) & that is how we are leaning now after all the support from this forum! So with a little more money saved by not buying a 50" flat panel, are there more choices for me? Thanks

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrajku /forum/post/15448952

Thanks. We can only fit a 42" flat panel (without tearing down the entertainment center) & that is how we are leaning now after all the support from this forum! So with a little more money saved by not buying a 50" flat panel, are there more choices for me? Thanks

Epson 6500UB

Epson 7500UB

Mits HC7000

None of these are DLP.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Definitely get a bigger TV. As you can see from this chart:

From 11' - 13', you really can't even tell the difference between SD and HD on a 40" set. If I were you, I'd be looking to get at least 60"+. That would at least give you the full benefit of 720p and you'd start to see the benefits of 1080p.

If you're ripping out an entertainment center, I'm assuming you'll have some depth. Have you thought about rear projection? You can get very nice rear projection sets in 65", 67" and even 73" (which is what I would get) for under $2000. That would still leave you $3000 to get a good projector (of which there's several).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.