AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using "TV speaker audio" for ~3 years. Recently I was given the following for free:

- 2x Polk Audio R300 speakers

- Polk Audio PSW10 subwoofer

- Sony STR-DG800 receiver

The sound was pretty much night and day. The receiver is a little outdated. One of the knobs is broken and it doesn't have "proper" HDMI passthrough.

What would you recommend to be my next steps? I thought about getting a new receiver... a Polk Audio CSR center speaker...

I do live in a condo so I'm not looking for tons of volume or huge bass... just quality sound.

Planning to use it exclusively through my HTPC (roughly):

- 60% movies

- 30% television

- 10% music

·
Super Moderator
14,600 Posts
In case you didn't see my reply to you on DHC:

Since you've got what appears to be a decent 2.1 set-up, what do you feel is missing? If it's better bass, go for a sub. If it's better "audio definition" for movies, get a center channel speaker. If you need HDMI, get a new receiver.

Without knowing what you want/need, I'd go with a center-channel speaker to match your mains, plus some inexpensive, gently-used bookshelf speakers for surrounds to round out the 5.1 set-up.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Seeing as how you're only connecting the one device, its unlikely you'll need to upgrade the receiver (I assume your HTPC has analog 7 or 8 channel audio and an optical out). I would suggest getting a good center channel as this will make a huge difference for movies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.