AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking to upgrade my system a bit. I am running Onkyo nr-636 and have Klipsch r 42ii speakers in a 5.1 setup (matching floor l&r, center, and bookshelves for surround). I am using a TSC T-250 subwoofer.

I am looking to upgrade and am torn on which way to go. Upgrade to pb-2000 sub, or buy a set of the rf-820f's (on sale now for $250 each) for left and right, and move the current rf-42 ii floor standing speakers to surround duty. I have a r-25c center that may be a better match to the rf-820f speakers than the rc-42 ii.

Primary use is home theater. Room is a 13'x35' rectangle with the TV and seating on the long walls about 12' from the end.

Will I be disappointed moving away from the "old" reference speakers (now reference premier) to the lower end speaker but with bigger speaker sizes?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
17,773 Posts
So I am looking to upgrade my system a bit. I am running Onkyo nr-636 and have Klipsch r 42ii speakers in a 5.1 setup (matching floor l&r, center, and bookshelves for surround). I am using a TSC T-250 subwoofer.

I am looking to upgrade and am torn on which way to go. Upgrade to pb-2000 sub, or buy a set of the rf-820f's (on sale now for $250 each) for left and right, and move the current rf-42 ii floor standing speakers to surround duty. I have a r-25c center that may be a better match to the rf-820f speakers than the rc-42 ii.

Primary use is home theater. Room is a 13'x35' rectangle with the TV and seating on the long walls about 12' from the end.

Will I be disappointed moving away from the "old" reference speakers (now reference premier) to the lower end speaker but with bigger speaker sizes?

Thoughts?
Definitely the sub first. I'd consider spending a little extra to get the Hsu VTF-3 over the PB2000 especially if your 13 x 35' room opens out to other adjacent rooms, hallways, stairs, etc.

Next upgrade would be the center, which does 70-80% of the HT output and is the true backbone of any HT setup. The L/R speakers are irrelevant in comparison.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts