AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a WD 1200AB in hand and want to do the upgrade.

One thing worries me. I've never really gotten MSN/WebTV to work. The first time it dials an 800 number. The second it dials a local number. On the second, the unit disconnects and says it is having problems contacting WebTV. Will this cause me problems in the upgrade?

Second, I do not have long distance enabled on my home phone land line. I have no fax machine and I use my cell for long distance so I never paid the extra ten bucks a month on my phone bill. Will this be a problem for the upgrade? Does the unit dial a toll-free number (which my phone line can handle) or does it dial a toll (long distance) number.

Any help would be appreciated.

(Also, does anyone think the MSN/WebTV problem is linked to my lack of toll calling?)

kgs

·
Registered
675 Posts
The unit first dials a toll-free number to look for a local number. If it can't find a local number, it should default to the closest number it recognizes. I would not try the upgrade without full telephone service, including long distance. It sounds like you need to go to a friend's house.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Austinsho, one thing bothers me ... can I do the upgrade at another house away from a DirecTV input? (i.e., do the upgrade away from home and bring the box back once the software is downloaded to connect up to the Satellite) I really hate AT&T/Sprint and don't want to give them a dime more.

Any clarification on this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
17,582 Posts
If I understand the procedure fully, the upgrade and the DirecTV service are two separate things. The DirecTV service is controlled through the access card and shouldn't be affected by using someone else's phone line to perform the drive upgrade. Once you perform the upgrade, plug the line in at home and set up all of the service-related data once you have the dish hooked up again.

·
Registered
524 Posts
equate:

For what purpose? Regardless if you use your own ip, UTV must interface through webtv ....

As for drive upgrade I believe it always will use telco using local msn dedicated lines.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.