AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Panasonic V20 Plasma and Projector Mitsubishi HC3800. I have the chance to change one of them spending the same amount of money. In your opinion what is it preferred?

V20 (EU) plasma exchange for A ST60

Mitsubishi HC3800 for a Optoma hd131xe

Thank you.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Tough choice, I'm leaning towards saying the plasma since this would almost be the very last chance to get one, panny is dropping (has dropped) production of them and Samsung stops next year or something, and I'm sure more manufactures will follow after these two.

Reasonably priced optoma's or DLP projectors in general are probably not going to vanish any time soon.

Just my two cents

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In fact, i will sell my plasma for 500€, and by the ST60 for 800€.

For the Mitsubishi my best offer is 300€ and i have to buy the optoma for 700€.

Another option is to sell both and buy a 65inch plasma intead a 50 inch.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
get the 65" You will be happy with no buyers remorse . it is indeed last year to get a plasma .

·
Banned
385 Posts
I would go for the plasma... and a pair of magnifying glasses

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunofcp  /t/1525466/upgrade-plasma-or-projector#post_24558979

I own a Panasonic V20 Plasma and Projector Mitsubishi HC3800. I have the chance to change one of them spending the same amount of money. In your opinion what is it preferred?

V20 (EU) plasma exchange for A ST60

Mitsubishi HC3800 for a Optoma hd131xe

Thank you.

it may not be the 'right' choice, but I'm going to say upgrade the plasma, because you won't be able to next year.

projectors are still getting better and cheaper every year. flat screens just seem to be getting cheaper and more cheaply made, definitely not better anymore. this even seems true of most lcd's.

that being said, be warned, if it's a significant upgrade, you might hate your projector. I ran into this problem last year. I replaced my plasma with a f8500 and the blacks were SO MUCH better than my projector, I basically just unplugged it cause I knew I'd never use it again... a month later I bought a JVC x35 and now I'm happy again. both provide similar picture quality.

but I don't know enough about the v20, or those projectors to know which one will be the BIGGEST upgrade. I'm just saying if you want an st60, you can't wait. you MIGHT be able to buy an f8500 next year, that'd really your last hope at an 'upgrade' that's actually better

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
With the plasma, what size do you currently have and what size would you be upgrading to? That can be a factor.

I just looked up the projector you own and see it is 1080p. Is the upgrade to the Optoma projector that much better. It is the low end of current 1080p projectors. I just ordered a Viewsonic PJD7820HD myself. It is also their first level 1080p projector so I am not expecting much but the mere excitement of just owning a projector is pretty exciting.I also own a VT60 and I am going to be curious if the size of the projector, I ordered a 92" screen will satisfy me more then the amazing picture I get from my VT60.

Also, you need to take into consideration how much viewing you do with each one and maybe upgrade the one that gets more use.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316  /t/1525466/upgrade-plasma-or-projector#post_24567186

With the plasma, what size do you currently have and what size would you be upgrading to? That can be a factor.

I just looked up the projector you own and see it is 1080p. Is the upgrade to the Optoma projector that much better. It is the low end of current 1080p projectors. I just ordered a Viewsonic PJD7820HD myself. It is also their first level 1080p projector so I am not expecting much but the mere excitement of just owning a projector is pretty exciting.I also own a VT60 and I am going to be curious if the size of the projector, I ordered a 92" screen will satisfy me more then the amazing picture I get from my VT60.

Also, you need to take into consideration how much viewing you do with each one and maybe upgrade the one that gets more use.

if you're at all a 'nut' about black levels, that's going to be tough. with a tv as good as the vt60, if the projector isn't pretty decent(it might be, I'm not familiar with it) it'll be a HUGE drop in performance.

when I bought my f8500, my old Epson projector on a 120" screen wasn't nearly good enough to be used anymore for me.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt  /t/1525466/upgrade-plasma-or-projector#post_24568992

if you're at all a 'nut' about black levels, that's going to be tough. with a tv as good as the vt60, if the projector isn't pretty decent(it might be, I'm not familiar with it) it'll be a HUGE drop in performance.

when I bought my f8500, my old Epson projector on a 120" screen wasn't nearly good enough to be used anymore for me.

Well, I will find out later tonight. I think the size and immersion will be enough to overcome the the loss in PQ for me but I really need to see it first before making a decision. I think black levels in movie theaters aren't that great but I have no problem enjoying the experience.

I originally ordered a 720p projector but then thought about it and it went back without even opening it for a 1080p one. This was really an impulse buy and wasn't looking to spend any money but just flipped the switch and obviously the 720p price looked better but then I was knew that would in no way keep my happy.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok,

Finaly bought the Plasma ST60, i will have it in three days. I hope that is an picture quality upgrade because i love my V20 (Same as VT20 without 3D) very much.

I will keep my projector maybe more two years, and see if 4k become ofordable for projectors.

I bought the plasma because OLED is very expensive, and i dont like To have a LED TV on my living room.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316  /t/1525466/upgrade-plasma-or-projector#post_24569025

Well, I will find out later tonight. I think the size and immersion will be enough to overcome the the loss in PQ for me but I really need to see it first before making a decision. I think black levels in movie theaters aren't that great but I have no problem enjoying the experience.

I originally ordered a 720p projector but then thought about it and it went back without even opening it for a 1080p one. This was really an impulse buy and wasn't looking to spend any money but just flipped the switch and obviously the 720p price looked better but then I was knew that would in no way keep my happy.

don't get me wrong. you WILL find a reason to use the projector, it's awesome. but after some time, you may get used to the 'wow' factor of the large screen, and you'll want to watch certain types of movies(say like a batman movie) on the vt60.

probably made the right call on returning the 720p projector. I actually don't have a huge issue with the resolution, but they generally don't make 'good' 720p projectors these days. so I'm sure the 1080p version will have better blacks/contrast and colors as well as the extra resolution.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunofcp  /t/1525466/upgrade-plasma-or-projector#post_24569547

Ok,

Finaly bought the Plasma ST60, i will have it in three days. I hope that is an picture quality upgrade because i love my V20 (Same as VT20 without 3D) very much.

I will keep my projector maybe more two years, and see if 4k become ofordable for projectors.

I bought the plasma because OLED is very expensive, and i dont like To have a LED TV on my living room.

depending on what you consider affordable, it might be a while yet. if you can spring 3-5k, I'm sure a couple years will be about right. but it'd gonna be awhile(I'm guessing) before something really nice breakings into the under 2k price range

anyway, enjoy the new tv

·
Registered
14,563 Posts
Speaking of projectors and plasmas, I have a 65VT60 and recently bought a JVC RS4810. I went with a 108" wide, 2:35:1 screen (Da-Lite HD Cinema Contour 1.1). I had Chad B calibrate it this week along with my new audio set-up (he did an AMAZING job). It's in a dedicated room painted and carpeted black.

I will just say I am completely blown away by it. I sit about 9.5 feet or so back and it's literally like being in a real movie theater and everyone who's had a chance to view it feels the same. The image takes on such a natural, true, film-like look.

*If* you have the right environment and dedicated area, the front projector is a no-brainer and I would put my money into that first.

For me personally, front projection has already taken my home theater enjoyment to an entirely new level. I cannot wait to re-watch my Blu library and a ton of other movies.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir  /t/1525466/upgrade-plasma-or-projector#post_24570380

Speaking of projectors and plasmas, I have a 65VT60 and recently bought a JVC RS4810. I went with a 108" wide, 2:35:1 screen (Da-Lite HD Cinema Contour 1.1). I had Chad B calibrate it this week along with my new audio set-up (he did an AMAZING job). It's in a dedicated room painted and carpeted black.

I will just say I am completely blown away by it. I sit about 9.5 feet or so back and it's literally like being in a real movie theater and everyone who's had a chance to view it feels the same. The image takes on such a natural, true, film-like look.

*If* you have the right environment and dedicated area, the front projector is a no-brainer and I would put my money into that first.

For me personally, front projection has already taken my home theater enjoyment to an entirely new level. I cannot wait to re-watch my Blu library and a ton of other movies.

I totally agree, IF you have 3-5k to spend.

but at the price range he's looking at, an st60 gets you NEAR top quality in a flat screen, but it's not even x35 level in the projector(which I own, and think is also fantastic)

Reactions: gus738

·
Registered
14,563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt  /t/1525466/upgrade-plasma-or-projector#post_24570413

I totally agree, IF you have 3-5k to spend.

but at the price range he's looking at, an st60 gets you NEAR top quality in a flat screen, but it's not even x35 level in the projector(which I own, and think is also fantastic)

Easy: he should save his money until he can buy an affordable, better quality projector.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir  /t/1525466/upgrade-plasma-or-projector#post_24570474

Easy: he should save his money until he can buy an affordable, better quality projector.
yup, but why not get the st60 today, while he still can. that way, he'll have a great plasma, AND a great projector in the future

·
Registered
390 Posts
Personally projector vs plasma is like comparing apple pai and pizza. Two great things I can hardly get enough of, but one could never replace the other.

Since the sun is setting on plasma, that's where things might be considered time sensitive.

And a large st60 would do nicely while he's taking his time and getting money together for a new or even a slightly used projectors, as mentioned cheap dlp's are only getting better.

·
Registered
14,563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt  /t/1525466/upgrade-plasma-or-projector#post_24571034

yup, but why not get the st60 today, while he still can. that way, he'll have a great plasma, AND a great projector in the future

It depends on your viewing habits and preferences, pure and simple.

At least 80% or more of my serious viewing is film. I was using the VT60 for this until this week and I cannot go back to a 65" screen again for that. lol I'll use it for occasional shows and ballgames.

As great of a panel the VT60 is (and it truly is great display), if I had to do all over again, I would have just kept my previous ST30 (or even got something lesser) and poured the money into the projector and my dedicated set-up (let's not forget audio either). However, I had no vision of getting a front projector as soon as I did when I bought my VT60 last May. I was thinking of doing this project years down the road when I eventually got my basement finished, but then realized I could make it happen with just a spare room.

If he thinks he will use the ST60 enough, by all means go for it.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir  /t/1525466/upgrade-plasma-or-projector#post_24572003

It depends on your viewing habits and preferences, pure and simple.

At least 80% or more of my serious viewing is film. I was using the VT60 for this until this week and I cannot go back to a 65" screen again for that. lol I'll use it for occasional shows and ballgames.

As great of a panel the VT60 is (and it truly is great display), if I had to do all over again, I would have just kept my previous ST30 (or even got something lesser) and poured the money into the projector and my dedicated set-up (let's not forget audio either). However, I had no vision of getting a front projector as soon as I did when I bought my VT60 last May. I was thinking of doing this project years down the road when I eventually got my basement finished, but then realized I could make it happen with just a spare room.

If he thinks he will use the ST60 enough, by all means go for it.

of course, but since I don't know those, I went with the next logical thing. that being plasma is getting harder to find, and projectors are getting cheaper and better, so buy the plasma now while you can, and the projector later, when it's better

and it's funny what you mention about the vt60, cause I have my days of similar thoughts. I bought the f8500, and it was FANTASTIC for about a month(so much so that I was never using my old projector anymore), then I upgraded my projector, and now I'm thinking, what's the point of having a 3k plasma that I only use for 'casual' viewing? an st60 and $1000 would be been a better call maybe. but I bought the tv for the long term. and who knows where it will end up. if it's becomes the center of a living room 'theater' then i'll be glad I spent the extra money

·
Registered
14,563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt  /t/1525466/upgrade-plasma-or-projector#post_24572076

of course, but since I don't know those, I went with the next logical thing. that being plasma is getting harder to find, and projectors are getting cheaper and better, so buy the plasma now while you can, and the projector later, when it's better

and it's funny what you mention about the vt60, cause I have my days of similar thoughts. I bought the f8500, and it was FANTASTIC for about a month(so much so that I was never using my old projector anymore), then I upgraded my projector, and now I'm thinking, what's the point of having a 3k plasma that I only use for 'casual' viewing? an st60 and $1000 would be been a better call maybe. but I bought the tv for the long term. and who knows where it will end up. if it's becomes the center of a living room 'theater' then i'll be glad I spent the extra money

Exactly! I feel like, for me, the VT60 is now just overkill. Don't get me wrong, I got a ton of enjoyment with it for the last year, but it will not be getting much use in my living room anymore and as happy as I am with my RS4810, I know myself well enough and now being so thrilled with front projection that I will be keeping a close eye on what JVC offers for 2015.
As far as 4K projectors, they will be priced higher than what I am willing to spend for the next couple of years (or more) and I will not be jumping into 4K Blu until there are a number of (good) titles available and I am very content with 1080p to be honest even on a big screen. I would like to do one more nice 1080p projector upgrade before going into 4K.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts