AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a question about how easy upgrading my DirecTV setup from a standard to HDTV setup would be. I have a pretty nasty installation here, with the dish put on a pole in pretty much the only square foot of yard that can see the right sliver of sky where the regular satellite is. From there, the cable has to snake its way all the way around three sides of my yard, up a few stories, and then inside to a TiVo-controlled standard receiver.

I'm going to be getting a used DTC100 to grab OTA channels in a week, and am thinking about adding the satellite channels as well (I'm already paying for regular HBO channels...). I'd like to do as little as possible to my setup and still have an upgrade, so is it possible to do this by: (1) switching the circular dish with an oval dish on the same pole and pointing in more or less the same direction; and (2) using some type of splitter to take the cable in the house and send one signal to the old receiver for TiVoing and one to the new receiver for HDTV?

If this would work, then I wouldn't have to set a new pole or string up any more major cables. Let me know if this is feasible. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Assuming that the location of your pole can see both orbital position then yes, just swap the dish out. But as far as I know you are going to have to run another cable from the multiswitch on the dish for the second receiver in your house, you can just use a splitter like with an over the air antenna. Each receiver's going to have to signal the switch box which LNB you want to connect to and also tell the box which polaraity you want on that LNB, and that can't be done on a single cable from multiple receivers.

·
Registered
420 Posts
This is pretty much the same thing I did. I got a free installation of the round dish and had them wire a connection to a non-HD receiver in my upstairs master bedroom. Then, I popped out the round dish and replaced it with the elliptical one. Keep in mind that you do have to repoint it, especially on the tilt axis (which is not necessary with round dishes). I already had wiring to my downstairs HDTV when the house was being built, so I just tapped the second cable into the multiswitch. I then diplexed a UHF bowtie and VHF mast in my attic together and ran that third cable to a video junction box, which splits the OTA signal to the rest of the house including the HDTV.

Bottom line, you will have to wire more cable. At least you can diplex the OTA and DSS signals on one of them though.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.