AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe a simple question. About to proceed with system upgrade a piece at a time. I would like to start with the av receiver. Problem is, the receiver that I plan to purchase sends 150 watts through 8 ohms and my current speaker set is only rated to 100 watts through 8.

Can I get away with this for a while or will I blow the speaker set proceeding down this path.

Will the mismatch only matter at high decibel volumes or at all volumes. I rarely listen to music or tv at levels beyond low to medium.

thanks!

·
Registered
864 Posts
It won't be a problem if you don't push your speakers to distortion. Actually more power is better than less. Not running enough power results in clipping if pushing the amp too hard and causes high frequency spikes that can damage a speaker much quicker than giving it a little more juice beyond it's capacity and causing distortion. But don't get me wrong, both can be bad. No need to worry, just don't over do the volume.

·
Registered
332 Posts
tuskenraider is right. Distortion is what blow's speakers. I have a pair of monitors that are rated for 150 watts max. I have them hooked up to monoblocks that are rated over 500 watts each. I run my speakers pretty hard, never heard a single pop or anything else adverse from my speakers. They handle like champs, since I never put any distortion into them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am purchasing a B&K AVR 507 as the first step in an excellent journey. I am going to use my Boston Accoustics Micro 120s for a while until I audition some more equipment. I have listened to paradigms and def techs and like them both.

Thanks for the feedback all!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Since the original question seems well answered, I hope no one will mind if I ask my own :)

Does more wattage mean better sound quality?

Ex: Would 100 watts speakers sound better if driven by a 500 watts amps vs 100 watts amp of the same model?

·
Registered
53 Posts
A 150W amp will only send 150W RMS when you have the volume at maximum. If you set it just 3dB down from max, it will be sending 75W RMS (which would probably still be very loud). Most casual listening is only at a few watts or less. The extra power provides more headroom to prevent clipping from peaks in the sound. The clipping (as mentioned above) is usually what damages speakers. The amps in my home and car are both rated for more power than my speakers, and I have never had a problem.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Grandarf
Since the original question seems well answered, I hope no one will mind if I ask my own :)

Does more wattage mean better sound quality?

Ex: Would 100 watts speakers sound better if driven by a 500 watts amps vs 100 watts amp of the same model?
It depends on how loud you are listening, and how much dynamic range is in the source.

For example: If you are listening at an average of 5W and the material has a peak at +20dB above the average, the peak will want 500W to reproduce it accurately (without clipping) and the 500W amp will sound better than the 100W. If the peak is lower or your volume is lower so the max required is 100W, then it probably wouldn't make much difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.