AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I currently own a Marantz MCR611 and plan to upgrade it to a 5.1 system.
I currently have two KEF Q350s and an SVS PB1000.
My surround will be my "old" Boston Accoustics A25.
I don't have a center sepaker yet, but I'm still looking at it.
Which brand and model do you recommend? Before my Marantz I had a Denon AVR 1909 and I liked it very much.
My use will be 75% music and 25% movies / series.
My budget would be around $ 800 USD for the amp (which makes $ 1000 CAD for me).
And if you ever have good recommendations for the center speaker then I'm all ears.
Thank you.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
The previous Denon AVR-1909 seems somewhere between a AVR-S750H and AVR-S950H by today's standards.
An alternative brand/model could be the Yamaha TSR-7850/RX-V685/RX-A780 (all functionally identical)

You could get another KEF Q350 as a center, but you might have to buy a pair and sell the other off.
Otherwise the Q250c and/or Q650c are available, if a little pricey.

Hi
I currently own a Marantz MCR611 and plan to upgrade it to a 5.1 system.
I currently have two KEF Q350s and an SVS PB1000.
My surround will be my "old" Boston Accoustics A25.
I don't have a center sepaker yet, but I'm still looking at it.
Which brand and model do you recommend? Before my Marantz I had a Denon AVR 1909 and I liked it very much.
My use will be 75% music and 25% movies / series.
My budget would be around $ 800 USD for the amp (which makes $ 1000 CAD for me).
And if you ever have good recommendations for the center speaker then I'm all ears.
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Do you plan to stay at 5.1 or will you add atmos to the ceiling later or want to send sound to another room in the future?

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
If you know you're sticking to 5.1, the Denon AVR-S650H (or even the older S640H) is basically a 5.1 version of the S750H, still with Heos, similar power, etc.
Yamaha RX-V485 is equivalent except for YPAO lacking any real room correction vs Audyssey MultEQ. It does offer Zone 2 (3.1 + 2.0) though.

If you don't need networking or streaming, Yahama RX-V385, Denon AVR-S540BT and Sony STR-DH590 are mostly the same.
I might lean towards YPAO or DCAC over the basic stuff Denon offers on the S540BT for automatic room measurement.

No I don't think to add atmos.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you know you're sticking to 5.1, the Denon AVR-S650H (or even the older S640H) is basically a 5.1 version of the S750H, still with Heos, similar power, etc.
Yamaha RX-V485 is equivalent except for YPAO lacking any real room correction vs Audyssey MultEQ. It does offer Zone 2 (3.1 + 2.0) though.

If you don't need networking or streaming, Yahama RX-V385, Denon AVR-S540BT and Sony STR-DH590 are mostly the same.
I might lean towards YPAO or DCAC over the basic stuff Denon offers on the S540BT for automatic room measurement.
All my music library is stored on an "open media vault" computer so networking/streaming is very important. I'm going to have a look about the models that you mentioned. Thank you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The previous Denon AVR-1909 seems somewhere between a AVR-S750H and AVR-S950H by today's standards.
An alternative brand/model could be the Yamaha TSR-7850/RX-V685/RX-A780 (all functionally identical)

You could get another KEF Q350 as a center, but you might have to buy a pair and sell the other off.
Otherwise the Q250c and/or Q650c are available, if a little pricey.
There is currently a very good sale on the NAD T758 V3 (same amount as my budget). I have read a lot of great reviews on this model. But these are "open boxes" (these are returns that were made within 10 days or exhibition models. However, the same warranty will come with it). In the Denons, the X3600H and X2600H are currently on sale. The 3600 is slightly over my budget. And the 2600 is way under my budget. Still too many choices.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
758 v3 is a step up from all of those others as it has dirac room correction, but lacks the set it and forget it simplicity and functionality of the receivers already mentioned by others.

Yammy tsr-7850 is good, otherwise the x2600 is very similar minus LR preouts. Both are great 7 channel receivers. the x3600 is superior and more in line with the NAD, but it has no bugs. It expands to 11 channels, has full preouts and the best version of audyssey with dual sub control. the x3600 is my choice if it is anywhere near the 7850 or x2600 price.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts