AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using the 6050 with a ten year old 16:9 Euroscreen grey ReAct 104" high contrast screen. The specs says it has 1.0 gain.

I am planning on upgrading to a 128" 2.35:1 screen.

Since I got my first screen I have both moved my cinema to another room and painted it dark and added 100% (95%?) blackout blinds. The ceiling is still white and furnitures like the big sofa is almost white. Other than that the room gets really dark, almost black when the projector is off.

Should I look at a regular white screen for my room or is the high contrast still a better option? Or should I go in the middle and get a grey screen.

Videos of my room:

Reactions: JeffG02

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Those black out blinds are very cool!

Any way to darken the ceiling?

Even if not, I'd still probably go for a white screen since you are serious about light control which helps prevent the main problem of ambient light washing out the screen image.

But yeah if you can darken the ceiling that would be ideal.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those black out blinds are very cool!

Any way to darken the ceiling?

Even if not, I'd still probably go for a white screen since you are serious about light control which helps prevent the main problem of ambient light washing out the screen image.

But yeah if you can darken the ceiling that would be ideal.
I might paint the ceiling matt dark later on.
what will I ”lose” going from high contrast to pure white? I am afraid the dark will feel washed out.
i can test different screens at the store but I will never know what it will look like until I try it at home so it is a gamble.

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
The thing about high contrast gray screens (and I used to have a Stewart gray screen) is that you will never see true white on the screen..... It was a tradeoff worth making in the old days before people like JVC "solved" black and contrast in a home projector. And it can be a trade off worth making if one has lights on in the room (though in that case an ALR screen is better and a giant flat panel TV is better).

But for a dedicated light controlled room it is not a compromise I would choose. Especially if you might darken the ceiling a bit.

But perhaps the best way to test is to ask the screen manufacturers for samples. I don't know how the manufacturers work in your location, but in the US most of them will send a piece of screen about 1 foot square, for free or cheap, for testing. You could get both kinds of try them in your room and see what you think?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The thing about high contrast gray screens (and I used to have a Stewart gray screen) is that you will never see true white on the screen..... It was a tradeoff worth making in the old days before people like JVC "solved" black and contrast in a home projector. And it can be a trade off worth making if one has lights on in the room (though in that case an ALR screen is better and a giant flat panel TV is better).

But for a dedicated light controlled room it is not a compromise I would choose. Especially if you might darken the ceiling a bit.

But perhaps the best way to test is to ask the screen manufacturers for samples. I don't know how the manufacturers work in your location, but in the US most of them will send a piece of screen about 1 foot square, for free or cheap, for testing. You could get both kinds of try them in your room and see what you think?
Thanks. I heard from more people that with a dark room including dark ceiling white is the way to go.
Since I am the master of my home dark ceiling is the way for me.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just went to the store and compared a high contrast react screen ti a regular white in a dark room.
the white looked better with more brightness och color so white it is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am using the 6050 with a ten year old 16:9 Euroscreen grey ReAct 104" high contrast screen. The specs says it has 1.0 gain.

I am planning on upgrading to a 128" 2.35:1 screen.

Since I got my first screen I have both moved my cinema to another room and painted it dark and added 100% (95%?) blackout blinds. The ceiling is still white and furnitures like the big sofa is almost white. Other than that the room gets really dark, almost black when the projector is off.

Should I look at a regular white screen for my room or is the high contrast still a better option? Or should I go in the middle and get a grey screen.

Videos of my room:

spectacular compliments!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Pretorian just a note of thanks for those cool videos. As someone is currently building a home media room with windows, I love to see a real world example of how one can accomplish a non-batcave movie place that can transform from a place you can hang out/read a book to full blown movie experience.

What brand shades did you go with?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pretorian just a note of thanks for those cool videos. As someone is currently building a home media room with windows, I love to see a real world example of how one can accomplish a non-batcave movie place that can transform from a place you can hang out/read a book to full blown movie experience.

What brand shades did you go with?
Thanks for your comment.
I live in Sweden and I am using a Swedish brand called Hasta Home. But there has to be a place where you can get similar types of blinds in the states.

I am using Hasta Home blackout blinds with a motorized kit and the Hasta remote that supports 15 channels:

To get it pitch black I attached a slide that the blind can fit into as you can see here:

Reactions: JeffG02

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just went to the store and compared a high contrast react screen ti a regular white in a dark room.
the white looked better with more brightness och color so white it is.
Which screen did you go with? I have a 6050 and currently using a 106" Silverticket screen, but considering an upgrade. My room is similar in that I have full light control and my walls are dark as well. My ceiling has coffers, so white trim with a navy blue ceiling and i get some light, but not too bad.

Thanks!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Which screen did you go with? I have a 6050 and currently using a 106" Silverticket screen, but considering an upgrade. My room is similar in that I have full light control and my walls are dark as well. My ceiling has coffers, so white trim with a navy blue ceiling and i get some light, but not too bad.

Thanks!
I am not done with the upgrades yet. I have reconsidered the choice of screen. I am in talks with a dealer in the UK and might go with a newer version of high contrast.
He said that although my room is dark and all it is not as dark as is needed if I want to go white.
I will update when I have the new screen in place.

Reactions: DAVIDE ITALY

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
I don’t know how dark is dark but the videos make it seem very very dark.

Somwhile your delaer may be right, I would encourage you to get some free screen samples and try both white samples and gray samples and decide based on what you see.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts