AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to get some input on purchase timing as the next display I buy will have to last me for 7-10 years following the purchase.

I'm currently rolling with a wall mounted 2007 42" 720P Panny Plasma...which was fine when my spouse and I were in school, but feels wholly inadequate now.

I want at least a 65" display to compliment a very lovely 7.1 system I have in my dedicated media room. I watch a lot of Bluray content and I game frequently via PS4/PS3 (so display lag is important). I anticipate that when the time comes I'll have $2-3k to spend on a new panel.

So...do you pros think that the price of OLED (or another future upcoming tech) will be worth waiting for given that I'll be locked in for just under a decade and considering my display size demands and budget?

Thanks so much for any guidance ya'll can provide.

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
You will be waiting at less 3-4 years for an affordable 65" plus OLED display. The LG 77" if it even does come out, will be around $30,000. Try to grab one of the 65" Panasonic plasmas or Samsung F8500 plasma and wait it out.

·
Registered
14,820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech  /t/1521464/upgrade-soon-or-wait-till-oled-prices-drop#post_24453438

You will be waiting at less 3-4 years for an affordable 65" plus OLED display. The LG 77" if it even does come out, will be around $30,000. Try to grab one of the 65" Panasonic plasmas or Samsung F8500 plasma and wait it out.

I agree that the wait for OLED to reach you budget could be a very, very long one (65" OLED for

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
What I would do in the OPs position is look for a good used display to hold me over until OLED is affordable. A lot, most, people think their used stuff is worth considerably more than it is but I think you might be able to get into the 60"+ range for under $1k.

Personally I'd give things a few years to settle down before I committed to a big screen OLED. The tech is evolving, 4k is in it's infancy and the standards have not all been written yet, so I'd say move into a holding pattern if you want a long term purchase.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L  /t/1521464/upgrade-soon-or-wait-till-oled-prices-drop#post_24454622

Personally I'd give things a few years to settle down before I committed to a big screen OLED. The tech is evolving, 4k is in it's infancy and the standards have not all been written yet, so I'd say move into a holding pattern if you want a long term purchase.

This is probably the best advice you'll hear.

·
Registered
516 Posts

Is it ever really gonna settle down? I don't remember it doing so ever since flat panels first came out.

There are plenty cool technologies in their infancy right now, so in a few years you might be able to get a big screen 4k OLED, but by that time you will be tempted to wait yet another year to get a wider color space, higher frame rate, dolby vision, 8K, who knows...

It's not that it's bad advice to wait another year, the reward for doing so is quite significant when it comes to TVs. But at some point you just gotta jump in.

·
Registered
628 Posts
A 55" LG OLED has an MSRP of ~$9000 their 77" 2014 OLED is projected to retail for ~$30000

By comparison, I purchased a 64F8500 from Cleveland Plasma last week for well under $3000

It is scheduled to be delivered on Tuesday 3/11 and will hopefully perform as well as my 2005 Panasonic 50PX50U and 2007 PRO-150FD.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the great feedback, folks. I salivate at the prospect of a big OLED panel...but I don't want miss out of 5 years of 65" goodness waiting for the possibility of OLED displays to become affordable. I'm going to plan on pulling the trigger on an "old tech" panel sometime in the next several years. Maybe one of the upcoming Vizios?

You guys rock!

·
Registered
14,820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drlink  /t/1521464/upgrade-soon-or-wait-till-oled-prices-drop#post_24467746

Thanks for all the great feedback, folks. I salivate at the prospect of a big OLED panel...but I don't want miss out of 5 years of 65" goodness waiting for the possibility of OLED displays to become affordable. I'm going to plan on pulling the trigger on an "old tech" panel sometime in the next several years. Maybe one of the upcoming Vizios?

You guys rock!

LG just announced that the MSRP of the 2014 55" OLED will be 3 million won (which is about $2800).

Assuming that materializes as planned, the question is going to be, are you better to tuck in to a 55" 1080p OLED awaiting a 70" 4K OLED a few years from now, or to tuck into a 70" 4K LCD (Vizio P) (which is still less expensive at $2600) awaiting a 70" 4K OLED a few years from now?

Decisions, decisions, but it is getting more interesting with every passing month...

[EDIT: This post has already been quoted, so I will leave the original as is - others have helped me to understand that I mis-read the LG announcement (easy to do fro the way it was worded :) The $2800 price LG announced was for a 55" 4K LED/LCD (not OLED).

Apologies for any confusion this mistaken reading might have caused...]

·
Registered
4,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd  /t/1521464/upgrade-soon-or-wait-till-oled-prices-drop#post_24468514

LG just announced that the MSRP of the 2014 55" OLED will be 3 million won (which is about $2800).

Assuming that materializes as planned, the question is going to be, are you better to tuck in to a 55" 1080p OLED awaiting a 70" 4K OLED a few years from now, or to tuck into a 70" 4K LCD (Vizio P) (which is still less expensive at $2600) awaiting a 70" 4K OLED a few years from now?

Decisions, decisions, but it is getting more interesting with every passing month...

Link to pricing on LG Oled please.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd  /t/1521464/upgrade-soon-or-wait-till-oled-prices-drop#post_24468514

That would be a very tough call. The quality of the OLED is offset by the size of the LCD. Size matters. In my gut odds are I'd opt for the 70"LCD if it was not Vizio.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
So I see an article on LG which says the 55-inch ultra-high-def TV will be 3 million won. It has no mention of that particular TV being an OLED.

"LG has unveiled 16 new UHD TV models ― its sizes include 105, 79, 65, 55 and 49 inches. It also unveiled 77-, and 65-inch TVs with curved displays.

In a press release, LG said the 49-inch curved UHD TV will sell for about 2 million won. The curved 55-inch UHD TV will be sold at a suggested retail price of 3 million won."

Do you have a link that says otherwise?

·
Banned
11,424 Posts
Fafrd was mistaken...and has since come to the conclusion that the somewhat confusing press release was referring to LCD and not OLED (forgot to update his post here apparently).

·
Registered
14,820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo  /t/1521464/upgrade-soon-or-wait-till-oled-prices-drop#post_24471548

So I see an article on LG which says the 55-inch ultra-high-def TV will be 3 million won. It has no mention of that particular TV being an OLED.

"LG has unveiled 16 new UHD TV models ― its sizes include 105, 79, 65, 55 and 49 inches. It also unveiled 77-, and 65-inch TVs with curved displays.

In a press release, LG said the 49-inch curved UHD TV will sell for about 2 million won. The curved 55-inch UHD TV will be sold at a suggested retail price of 3 million won."

Do you have a link that says otherwise?

I have edited my original post to clarify that my initial reading was mistaken and the 3 million won price was for a 55" 4K LED/LCD and not OLED.

Apologies for any confusion I may have caused...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts