AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i currently have a 811s pioneer that I have paired with some mediocre 3-way sony speakers. I want to get the ascends cbm 170 (l/r) and 340(c). I don't plan on upgrading my receiver in the next year because I bought it a few months ago. Will I be doing myself any justice pairing this receiver with these speakers? Should I just wait down to road to purchase the speakers when I'm ready to get a new receiver?

·
Registered
337 Posts
The quickest route to improved sound in almost any system is better speakers. If those are the speakers you want in your system, the sooner you have them, the better.

-Robb

·
Registered
344 Posts
It depends. Before deciding, you may want to listen to your speakers using different upstream components. Some people find that a minor upgrade in electronics does wonders for their speakers. However, if you have unknowingly chosen the wrong speakers for your listening room (or your ears) a change in electronics, no matter how substantial, probably won't improve the sound enough to justify the investment. Having said this, I agree with Robb. Generally, an upgrade in speakers is the quickest way to improve your system's overall performance.

A word of caution....unless you are prepared to invest in expensive electronics, don't bother spending big bucks on speaker cables hoping that high-end cables will cure your system's ills. It won't happen. Never has, never will.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I would upgrade the speakers and then look to upgrading your receiver when budget permits. I'm doing the same thing. I bought my Rocket package last winter and hooked them to a 9 year old non-digital Sony receiver that still thinks that laserdiscs is a neato concept. Yeah, I'm not getting the best sound presentation out of this setup, but it's a hell of a lot better than I had previously. I'm due to replace the receiver, but I've put off the order (again) to see what's going to happen with the Dolby Pro Logic IIx situation in the $1000 receiver market next quarter.

Your only real issue is whether your current receiver might have problems with the load from better quality speakers, like the Ascends. Some Pioneer receivers have had this problem in the recent past.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
I'm in agreement with everyone else.

I have heard the Ascends demoed at Hsu Research with the 711 Pioneer. It was fine.

·
Registered
231 Posts
One thing to consider, your speakers will probably be the "longest lived" of your A/V investment.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Go ahead on the speaker purchase. But, I'll second what Obi Wan said: Be sure that the speakers have the qualities you desire and NOT ones you don't. Once you are past that selection point, realize that once you do start to upgrade your electronics, you'll want to audition equipment in your home (if possible) and find out what works in concert with the speakers' qualities and not against them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.