AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Currently I own a Yamaha RX-371 receiver which I am happy with and a Klipsch HD300 Speaker system. Heard Golden ear SuperSats over the weekend and it freaking spoiled me.

The problem with the Klipsch HD300 is the high frequency crossover, 150Hz - 20kHz which causes the crossover for the sub to be at 160Hz to sound right. Also, the sub is only 6.5" at 80-watts. ---- I watch movies 80% of the time, but with better front speakers would use it for audio as well. 

Main Goal: Want to get the frequency of the satellites down below 100Hz so that the subwoofer doesn't have to drive so much of the overall sound.

Options:

1. Polk Audio Blackstone TL250 (Frequency: 95Hz - 24kHz) and Polk Audio PSW111 (8" 300W) Subwoofer

2. Keep rear speakers (upgrade later with TL2 or TL3 rears), Polk Audio TSi100 Bookshelf Speakers (2), Polk Audio CS10 Center Speaker, and PSW111 Subwoofer - or something of that nature.

3. Definitive Audio 400 or 600 (whats the difference?)

4. Klipsch Quintet 5 and Subwoofer

5. Keep Klipsch HD300 speakers and upgrade subwoofer

Main Goal: Want to get the frequency of the satellites down below 100Hz so that the subwoofer doesn't have to drive so much of the overall sound.

Price Range (>$800) - looking for most bang for buck that can give me a good warm sound with more mid-tones than I'm getting right now.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Polk Monitor 30 Series Ii's from Polks EBay store, $100 shipped

Polk CS1 Center from Polk EBay Store, $90 shipped

Polk OWM3's in black from amazon, $100 shipped

SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer, $500 shipped.

That will be a substantial improvement over what you have. For $800

Stay away from the satellite based systems while nice looking their sound is all lacking. The OWM3's are small and offer a low crossover at 100hz.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Yeah I should also note that the center speaker can't be wider than 19" which throws out the current Polk TSi10.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA86  /t/1521670/upgrade-speakers-for-my-home-theater-system#post_24458512

Yeah I should also note that the center speaker can't be wider than 19" which throws out the current Polk TSi10.
The Polk CS1 is 18" wide so it meets that requirement.

The CS1 no matter the series sound identical to the CS10. And TSI100 sound just like Monitor 30's

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I would suggest the Bic F12 over the polk , its 12-Inch 475-Watt & $200.
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-F12-475-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B0015A8Y5M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394379496&sr=8-1&keywords=bic+america+f12+subwoofer

What is the tallest height for center speaker you can have?

HTD Level 2 Speakers 5.0 set for $527 + shipping and the center speaker is only 17" wide. http://www.htd.com/shoppingcart?whence=

Center speaker Frequency Response: 52 Hz - 20 kHz

Bookshelf speakers Frequency Response: 60 Hz - 20 kHz

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

6-8" - height is not a concern.

So, this would give me a much better system for the money versus either a Definitive ProCinema 600 or Klipsch Quintet?

I just never branched away from the traditional 5.1 surround sound speaker system setup.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA86  /t/1521670/upgrade-speakers-for-my-home-theater-system#post_24459346

So, this would give me a much better system for the money versus either a Definitive ProCinema 600 or Klipsch Quintet?

I just never branched away from the traditional 5.1 surround sound speaker system setup.

I have not heard any of the speakers including the HTD's, I suggested them because of their popularity around here and the center channel fits your needs.

I would think based on the specs the htd's should trample all over the klipsch as well as the definitives. The htd's have a 30 day trial, so if you don't like them you can return them with free return shipping, nothing to loose with them. http://www.htd.com/Risk-Free-In-Home-Trial/guarantee

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA86  /t/1521670/upgrade-speakers-for-my-home-theater-system#post_24459346

with the Def Tech PC600 or Klipsch Quintet you are going to run into the same issues as having poor midrange. And needing a high crossover above 120hz

I strongly suggest the Set I recommended. The subwoofer you get with that recommendations far exceeds anything else you can afford and it would result in major improvement in sound.

Also the Polk Cs1 center and Polk cs15c both meet your size requirements and can handle the THX 80hz crossover which so many people recommend. The SVS PB-10000 is a subwoofer of extreme quality and performance.

In your shoes that speaker set would be at the top of my list

1 - 8 of 8 Posts