AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Outlaw LFM-1 EX but I kind of feel it's not completely doing it for me for musical duties. Would I be better off getting a sealed sub like the Epik Empire or Rythmik F12 or investing in an EQ like the SMS? My room is 20x15x8 but also opens into a kitchen area.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaygolf /forum/post/18261068

I currently have a Outlaw LFM-1 EX but I kind of feel it's not completely doing it for me for musical duties. Would I be better off getting a sealed sub like the Epik Empire or Rythmik F12 or investing in an EQ like the SMS? My room is 20x15x8 but also opens into a kitchen area.

Have you taken FR measurements of the sub in your room?

While I am positive the F12 has better sound quality than the Outlaw, EQing a sub usually makes much more of an improvement than replacing a quality sub with another quality sub..

Getting that measurement will tell a lot.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
+1 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

But, if you can pick up a used SMS-1 you could accomplish both.

Almost undoubtedly you could use some degree of room correction.

I don't know of too many HT environments that have ruler flat response curves.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
IIRC how much the SMS costs, that's the price of a pretty decent sub right there.

You can get a manual eq like the BFD for about $100. Or an auto-eq like the Anti-mode 8033 for about $250-300.

I agree that the best thing you can do is use an SPL meter and set up Room EQ Wizard in your room to measure and see how things look. I have no doubt that you would get more performance from a nicer sub. But you could squeeze even more performance out of your current sub with some tweaking. You can measure different locations in the room and find the best location for bass. You can move the sub behind your couch and gain more SPL and more visceral impact (I did that and saved an upgrade from my VTF3.2). You can use REW to help set phase and sub distance setting for the smoothest response. You can even add some bass traps to room corners and improve the tightness of the sound. Plus, bass traps can blend in with the decor and don't have to stand out (ie., corner wedge Tri-traps from GIK Acoustics).

If you go through all that, you can upgrade the sub and when you get it, you'd be able to squeeze the best performance out of it too.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri /forum/post/18261343

IIRC how much the SMS costs, that's the price of a pretty decent sub right there.

You can get a manual eq like the BFD for about $100. Or an auto-eq like the Anti-mode 8033 for about $250-300.

The SMS is going for $250-300 used. ($399 new)

You can always measure with the manual method as well.

Just get some graph paper, SPL meter, play some tones and plot the response.

·
Registered
67 Posts

Quote:

I picked up an elemental designs eq.2 a couple weeks ago when I was asking myself the same question you posed.

I'll say that the eq.2 takes some time to tune to get it to sound at least as good as my mfw-15 was before I plugged it in.

I now have it at a point where I will say that I'm happy that I purchased it! At $100, it saves me money and space on a second sub. This was especially important because I didn't want another MFW-15 for reasons not worth discussing here. I am hesitant to get another sub that isn't an exact match.

My goal with the eq.2 was to get "tighter" response. I didn't even know the MFW was "fat" until I bought an Acura MDX. The MDX, which is obviously purpose built for music, had the sound I'm looking for in my living room. Granted the MDX is not as "full" in the low end.

My thoughts on the eq.2- tons of control! This will give you more control than you probably need. If you have to turn your gain all the way up to get the volume you need, this should fix that too.

If you have similar needs, I can recommend the eq.2 or the other devices that people here have mentioned, but I have no experience with.

Good luck!

·
Registered
129 Posts

Quote:

Would I be better off getting a sealed sub [..] or investing in an EQ like the SMS?

Upgrading the sub will not fix the room interaction. Using two subs could flatten the response somewhat.

I have read from a German forum about a customer who had tested Anti-Mode when he had already ordered 2 fairly expensive subs, and found out that his old sub was as musical as he had hoped for when the room interaction was fixed. (Google translation there: http://translate.google.fi/translate...3-5666-13.html )

To get the best out of SMS-1 you need a computer and some experience (the automatic mode of SMS-1 is not very good). If you go for the manual solution, there are less expensive solutions. Anti-Mode 8033 is fully automatic and no computer is needed. See the merits of each solution from for example the "Best sub EQ under $400" thread ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1028464 ).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts