Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I currently have a Crystal Image scaler with my 9" CRT, an Electrohome 9500LC projector.

I am quite dissatisfied with the scaler. I find it no better than the internal doubler on my DISH 6000, which is distinctly mediocre.

Now, granted, I mostly use the scaler for poor quality material like SD satellite, since I use a HTPC for DVD's. Still, I expected more.

Anyway, I would consider an upgrade. Does the Faroudja NR sound like the right next step? I don't want to spend $20,000 for a 5000 or 3000. Can anyone give me an idea of what I could expect from such a purchase? What would be the right model and resolution for this fine projector? How much does it go for?

I also note references to SDI on the forum recently. (I've been away for a while). Would this be a more logical next step, or does it not make sense given the fact that I am using the HTPC for DVD's?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Andrew,

Since you say that you are using the scaler just for your SD satelite feed let me say that SD is all across the board as far a quality of picture. Some of the stuff on SD is descent, and some is down and out poor. Especially when displayed on a large screen with a very good projector like you have. I have even noticed on my setup (G-70) that the same hold true of the HD material from the Dish 6000. Some is very good and some just OK.

That said, I don't believe that all the scaling in the world can take a poor soutce material and turn it into a great picture. Garbage in will produce scaled garbage. Sure you may get something better of a picture from a Dune or Rock scaler but SD will be not have that quality that HD has nor the picture you can produce from you HTPC playing DVD's.

You actually have a very good scaler in your HTPC that you can experiment with to prove my point. Get a good TV tuner card w/ SVideo in, and run a piece or freeware developed by forum members called dScaler to display your SD TV signal scaled at whatever you are set on your HTPC.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.