AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I currently own a Samsung pn50b650 plasma tv 2009 model and am debating whether to buy a pn51f8500. I just don't know if this will be a worthwhile upgrade.

Does anyone know whether there will be a noticeable picture quality difference by switching to the f8500? I highly value pq/color accuracy, but if the difference will only be marginal I don't think I should upgrade. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hello everyone,

I currently own a Samsung pn50b650 plasma tv 2009 model and am debating whether to buy a pn51f8500. I just don't know if this will be a worthwhile upgrade.

Does anyone know whether there will be a noticeable picture quality difference by switching to the f8500? I highly value pq/color accuracy, but if the difference will only be marginal I don't think I should upgrade. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Good luck finding one… lol

And yes, get one if you can find one!

In my opinion, OLED is worth it but too expensive for the masses…unless you can afford one. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wait for what? Nobody is making Plasmas anymore. Unless you want to wait for the OLED to take off, the f8500 is your best bet.
I guess im worried that there will be displays with better picture quality in the next year or two. I don't want to waste my money on this only to have another tv come out in a year that will be able to beat the f8500 in black levels/contrast/ everything that I love about plasma.

From everything I gather from my research, oled is going dead, 4k tvs are still to young, plasma is already discontinued, and there are no led tvs that can match the f8500 currently. I don't want to waste my money but I will be pissed if I for some reason my old Samsung dies and im left with no alternative to plasma but led tv for the next 2 or 3 years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good luck finding one… lol

And yes, get one if you can find one!

In my opinion, OLED is worth it but too expensive for the masses…unless you can afford one. ;)
I found one on craiglist 3 months old already calibrated for $1,000, these replies are making me really lean towards buying the f8500 before its to late!

·
Registered
10,583 Posts
I guess im worried that there will be displays with better picture quality in the next year or two. I don't want to waste my money on this only to have another tv come out in a year that will be able to beat the f8500 in black levels/contrast/ everything that I love about plasma.

From everything I gather from my research, oled is going dead, 4k tvs are still to young, plasma is already discontinued, and there are no led tvs that can match the f8500 currently. I don't want to waste my money but I will be pissed if I for some reason my old Samsung dies and im left with no alternative to plasma but led tv for the next 2 or 3 years.
OLED is not going to die anytime soon. In fact, LG is cranking up production with several new models this year. LED has inherent problems that will never be overcome such as poor viewing angles and motion blur. Blacks will be better with FALD improvements. The upside with OLED is so much more than LED. If you want an OLED for the same price as and F8500, now in the time. The 55 inch LG 9300 will likely drop quite a bit before the 2015 models arrive. It's the best tv out there right now. Better than the F8500 and way ahead of any LED model.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OLED is not going to die anytime soon. In fact, LG is cranking up production with several new models this year. LED has inherent problems that will never be overcome such as poor viewing angles and motion blur. Blacks will be better with FALD improvements. The upside with OLED is so much more than LED. If you want an OLED for the same price as and F8500, now in the time. The 55 inch LG 9300 will likely drop quite a bit before the 2015 models arrive. It's the best tv out there right now. Better than the F8500 and way ahead of any LED model.
Do you really think the pq on an LG is better than a Samsung? I have not seen good pq in Lg from my experience. The reason I say oled is dead is because Samsung is not going to be making them anymore and I don't think of LG as having high pq. Oled or not.

·
Registered
10,583 Posts
Do you really think the pq on an LG is better than a Samsung? I have not seen good pq in Lg from my experience. The reason I say oled is dead is because Samsung is not going to be making them anymore and I don't think of LG as having high pq. Oled or not.
You need to see the LG in person. Properly calibrated, it is impressive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the quick replies. I think I'm gonna pass on the f8500 and wait for the old price drop in a year or two. Another 30 min and I would have had buyers remorse!

Wxman you have given me hope that LG oled will be comparable if not better than the f8500.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Oled is very impressive. It won last years best tv compared to all 4K tv's and the samsung F8500 was 2nd place in the best of tv's shootout. If you can get one I wouldn't wait. Unless you care about 4K.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Oled is very impressive. It won last years best tv compared to all 4K tv's and the samsung F8500 was 2nd place in the best of tv's shootout. If you can get one I wouldn't wait. Unless you care about 4K.
Didn't they declare the shootout a tie between the F8500 and OLED for 2014, and the F8500 won for 2013?

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Didn't they declare the shootout a tie between the F8500 and OLED for 2014, and the F8500 won for 2013?
image.jpg

Both tv's are excellent in their own way. F8500- 2013, Oled -2014

·
Registered
7,884 Posts
Check out the H5000. They are almost gone, but still available. OLED will not be at that price point for at least 3 years. And it's a great display.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Plot Twist! I couldn't resist the last of the Samsung plasmas and bought the pn51f8500. I was able to talk him down to $900 XD . Turns out he had it professionally calibrated also :D.

The f8500 is amazing. I took "Gravity" out for a spin, to showcase the black level detail, and it was like watching a new movie. This is a definite upgrade from the 2009 Samsung plasma model I had.

This tv will definitely keep me more than satisfied for a few years. I will probably get an oled in 3 years, hopefully 4k oled will be at a somewhat reasonable quality and price by then.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
From everything I gather from my research, oled is going dead
What did you read in your research that brought you to this conclusion? Do you have any references?

You're confusing me... :confused:

Plasma is dead
OLED is superior

Even if OLED is going to die; THAT is your better technology available today... Nothing else made to date can match it.

The next possibility to beat OLED I have seen is QLED; similar to OLED but made with quantum LEDs. Not to be confused with the quantum dot technology going on now which enhances LCD screens. This is a completely different implementation and it's own technology type.

The F8500 is great TV and you got it for a great price; enjoy it and in 5 years or so take another look at what is going around.

OLED is not going anywhere in the near future. 2015 models are just not starting to surface. There has never been a better TV made than the LG UHD OLED coming out in 2015. No consumer set compares to it. Go see one playing high quality content :)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Get the F8500. OLED isn't going to be affordable for most consumers for a few more years. And I doubt they will look better than the F8500 anyway.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Get the F8500. OLED isn't going to be affordable for most consumers for a few more years. And I doubt they will look better than the F8500 anyway.
OLED is a lot better actually; in many regards.

But yes I agree; get the F8500 for now and wait for the price drop.

·
Registered
116 Posts
After extensive studies, I went with a 8500 in January. As you can see, it did very well in a shoutout with OLED's. If you can find an 8500( which isn't easy) and get it properly calibrated, you've bought yourself a winner.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425581500.951718.jpg

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Check out the H5000. They are almost gone, but still available. OLED will not be at that price point for at least 3 years. And it's a great display.
Ditto to this comment. The H5000 is a perfect "stopgap" plasma for those that want a larger or better set now even though they are waiting for OLED or whatever to be affordable. The H5000 is a darned good set. I love mine and I do NOT feel like I settled at all. Heck, I may keep this thing for a while, even if some other tech does get cheaper and has awesome PQ. ;)

It just happens to be priced very advantageously right now.

Reactions: StinDaWg

·
Registered
7,884 Posts
Honestly the only reason the H5000 gets overlooked is because it's sitting in the shadow of the F8500. If there was no F8500, the H5000 would have gotten a lot more attention.

Reactions: StinDaWg and SiGGy
1 - 20 of 37 Posts